How Does Gender Bias Affect The Female Experience?
Wage gaps, rape culture, underrepresentation in politics, business, and STEM, poverty, and sexual violence: Modern women are undeniably fierce; but, from a sociological standpoint? We get the short end of the stick.
We may rarely think about it consciously, but inequality colors almost every aspect of the female experience. For example, Do you:
- Feel like a single parent sometimes despite having a male partner?
- Need to work 10x as hard as a man in order for male clients to take you seriously—only to make a lesser income than entry-level Jim?
- Receive judgmental pushback from men and women for expressing and *enjoying* your female sexuality?
- Watch flawless-bodied female celebrities on television and negatively critique your own body?
To think, in ancient Aztec times, the act of childbirth was considered a battle in which the mother was revered a warrior… And now, we’re waging our own war for paid maternity leave!
Of the countless issues that shape the female experience, detailed below are the 10 most common women’s issues that we encounter in our practice:
Common Issues Explored In Women’s Counseling
- Relationships: Navigate all aspects of romantic relationships from initial flirtations to marital counseling; Pre-plan for the unexpected challenges of marriage (Pre-Marital Counseling) or co-parenting (Pregnancy & Parental Skills Counseling); Learn how to communicate more effectively, unstick “stuck” marital feuds, and deepen your sexual connection in Marriage Counseling; Explore Last-Ditch Martial Counseling to resurrect a failing marriage; Heal from the pains of infidelity, breakups, separations, and divorce; and Seamlessly blend two families together through the act of remarriage
- Gender & Sexuality: Resolve uncertainty about sexual orientation or gender identity expression; Communicate your sexual desires to your partner—and achieve sexual fulfillment; Receive medical and psychological interventions to address roadblocks to sexual arousal, orgasm, and pain-free penetration; Conquer performance anxiety, shame about sex, and sexual slumps with your partner
- Pregnancy & Adoption: Plan for the expansion of your family and the unique challenges of child-rearing; Survive the hormonal ebbs and flows, sleepless nights and fatigue, enhanced cravings, and morning sickness of pregnancy; Conquer Postpartum Depression; Prepare for adopting a child or fostering healthy attachment bonds; Cope with the grief of infertility, miscarriage, abortion, or “birthmother grief” (the surrendering a child for adoption)
- Motherhood: Strike a healthy balance among career, childcare, and self-care (including precious sleep, romantic, or socialization time); Master the arts of single parenthood, teenage parenting, or successful co-parenting; Articulate expectations for parenting roles and discipline guidelines in Couples or Marriage Counseling; Advocate effectively for children with developmental disabilities; distress from bullying; and attachment, academic, or behavioral problems; Cope with rebellious teens, or young adults with a distressing reluctance to vacate the nest; Receive competent and compassionate grief counseling to soothe the mourning process after losing a child
- Workplace Issues: Confront sexual harassment or gender discrimination in the workplace; Advocate for equal pay, deserved promotions, or maternity leave; Balance motherhood with professional development; Cope with incompetent bosses and catty or chauvinistic co-workers
- Inequality & Gender Expectations: Talk to someone who understands the challenges of being a woman: cultural and societal standards for beauty, workplace inequality, imbalanced parenting roles, political injustice, “rape culture”, and LGBTQ+ or multicultural -specific obstacles for women
- Stress Management: Screaming infants, tantrum-ing two-year-old’s, stubborn adolescents, and rebellious teens; clueless, checked-out husbands; sleep deprivation; chaotic schedules; financial burdens; fitness, body image, or evidence of aging: Escape the cycle of near-constant worrying! Develop effective mechanisms for self-soothing and carve out breaks for essential, restorative “you” time
- Eating Disorders & Body Image: Abandon binging, purging, compulsive exercising, food addiction, or self-loathing! Learn to love the skin that you’re in—and develop healthier nutrition habits or fitness goals
- Abuse & Trauma Recovery: Heal in the aftermath of sexual, physical, or emotional abuse; childhood neglect; or traumatic life experiences; Alleviate the symptoms of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, including flashbacks, hypervigilance, irritability, and anxiety; Use innovative techniques, such as exposure therapy or EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing) to reprogram the trauma response; Enhance trust and sexual intimacy in your romantic relationships
- Mental & Physical Health Challenges: Receive customizable treatments for Anxiety, Depression, Self-Harm, Suicidality, Eating Disorders, Substance Abuse, Panic Disorders, PTSD, OCD, Borderline Personality or Bipolar Disorders—plus more+; Discuss issues that affect Women’s Health, including Menopause, Breast & Reproductive Cancers, Heart Disease, Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI’s), Fertility Issues—and more+
How Can Gender Competent Therapy Services Help Me?
Women report higher levels of marital dissatisfaction and psychological distress than do men—but that statistic is a testament to the bum deal that women are dealt. Women are survivors. And effective counseling for Women’s Issues should highlight our inherent strength. Depending upon your counseling needs, your Lifeologie therapist may recommend:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: Modifying via women’s empowerment how you view yourself; Tweaking destructive thought patterns that underlie distressing or unsuccessful behaviors in interpersonal relationships, the workplace, parenting, or mental health (In other words—changing what you can, in spite of a broken system)
- Stress Management: Evaluating stress through the lenses of womanhood, motherhood, culture, and sexuality; Recognizing the signs of emotional and physical burnout; and Instituting a routine of self-care (romance, relaxation, socialization, and alone time)
- Relationship & Marital Counseling: Regain equality and assertiveness in your relationships; Establish fairness in the division or parenting roles and household responsibilities; Improve communication, enhance a so-so sex life, and rescue relationships form the precipice of divorce
- Gender & Sexuality Counseling: Examine medical and psychological causes for female orgasmic and sexual arousal disorders; Tactfully instruct a clueless partner to meet your sexual needs; Discuss LGBTQ+ issues related to exploring sexual orientation or gender identity and cope with prejudice and discrimination
- Parenting Skills Development: Hone your parenting skills in preparation for a new baby, adopted child, tantrum-ing youngster, or difficult adolescent; Learn the principles of Filial Therapy (aka: parent-led Play Therapy) to institute at home; Bond more effectively with your child and practice the art of successful limit-setting
- Mental Health & Trauma Interventions: Receive customizable and proven treatments (including 12-Step, Harm Reduction, Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR), exposure therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, etc.) to alleviate PTSD, Eating Disorders, Anxiety, Depression, Substance Abuse, Personality Disorders—and more+
- Alternative Therapy: Try mindfulness, meditation, psychotherapeutic yoga, or expressive arts to instill the principles of self-relaxation and to initiate personal growth and healing