Caring for aging parents
“The Sandwich Generation”
You know that old trees just grow stronger, and old rivers grow wilder every day. Old people just grow lonesome, waiting for someone to say, “hello in there, hello…” – John Prine, singer-songwriter
Aging is a difficult and daunting prospect for all of us, but it’s also inevitable (yes, even in the age of Botox). But it is possible to age gracefully and to ease through the losses as they come. Don’t forget we’re all aging at EXACTLY the same rate, one day at a time. Are you caring for someone who is…
- in the midst of constant loss?
- dealing with the death of a loved one?
- leaving life-long careers and activities?
- losing the ability to drive?
- losing acuity in vision and/or hearing?
- showing signs of Alzheimer’s disease or dementia?
Are you experiencing signs of…
- grief and loss
- caregiver burnout
For those of us in the sandwich generation, elder care and caring for aging parents while raising children of our own, it’s difficult to know how to be available for the elders in our lives. What do they need from us, and how can we muster the energy to help? We can help you
- identify the nature of the loss and validate its personal impact
- fearlessly inventory the emotional impact of the loss
- talk about sensitive and difficult aging-related issues
- allow your loved one time to move through the emotions
- be open to help from others and seek professional help if the process seems to be bogging down
- seek new ways to direct and focus your loved one’s energy and interest into new, available directions
If we all face aging with creativity and hope, many of its challenges are no more difficult than any other struggle we face throughout life. Old trees do grow stronger. So can we.
Meet our counselors who specialize in this topic
- Noell LusterMasters Level InternDallas & Fort WorthFees: $70 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Abandonment Issues, Adulting, Aging Issues, Anxiety Disorders, Caring for Aging Parents, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Depression, Divorce & Breakups, Failure to Launch, Geriatric Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Newlyweds, Pre-Engagement, Pre-Marital, Young Adults in Transition
- scott hardgroveLMFT-A, LPC-Intern, Supervised by Russ Bartee, PhD,
LMFT-S, LPC-SFort Worth Office$90 per 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Adulting, Anxiety Disorders, Blended Families, Body Picking, Caring for Aging Parents, Couples Counseling, Dealing with Chronic Illness, Depression, Divorce & Breakups, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Family Issues, LGBTQ & Gender Issues, LGBTQ Couples, Male Sexuality, Marriage Counseling, Newlyweds, Pre-Marital, Sex Therapy, Social Anxiety
- Chelsey CharbeneauC-IAYT, E-RYT 500, YACEPDallas OfficeFees: $135 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Anxiety Disorders, Borderline Personality, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Dealing with Chronic Illness, Depression, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Families & Mental Illness, Geriatric Counseling, Mindfulness Training, Panic Attacks, Physical Abuse Recovery, PTSD Recovery, Social Anxiety, Stress Management, Virtual Counseling Sessions, Yoga Therapy
- Kim SalisburyE-RYT500 Yoga Alliance, Yoga Therapist with IAYTDallas OfficeFees: $100 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Anxiety Disorders, Dealing with Chronic Illness, Dealing with OCD, Depression, Eating Disorders, Exercise Addiction, Extreme Dieting, Geriatric Counseling, Insomnia, Mindfulness Training, Panic Attacks, PTSD Recovery, Stress Management, Virtual Counseling Sessions, Yoga Therapy
- Jody RichLPC-Intern Supervised by
Kelly Pedersen, LPC-SAustin OfficeFees: $90.00-$110.00 for a 50 minute session.Specialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Aging Issues, Anger Management, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, existential issues, Family Issues, Relationship Issues, Stress Management, Trauma & Abuse Recovery
- Jenny WangLPC, LPC-SupervisorFrisco & Plano/RichardsonFees: $155 for a 50 minute session.Specialties: Abandonment Issues, Abuse Recovery, Adolescents, Adoption & Foster Care, Anxiety Disorders, Biracial Couples, Caring for Aging Parents, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Christian Counseling, Codependency Issues, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Complex Trauma Recovery, Couples Counseling, Dealing with Chronic Illness, Dealing with OCD, Depression, Divorce & Adjustment, Divorce & Breakups, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Geriatric Counseling, Panic Attacks, Physical Abuse Recovery, Social Anxiety, Stress Management, suicide prevention, Transgender Adults, Transgender Teens, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Tweens & Teens, Women's Issues