Panic Attack Counseling
What Are Panic Attacks?
Panic attacks are momentary episodes, in which anxiety upsurges into a swell of terror. The “attacks” usually crest at 10 minutes and subside entirely after 30 minutes. However, the physiological symptoms of panic attacks—which often mimic the warning signs of a heart attack—can generate lingering, psychological distress. Similar to the hyperarousal of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, this heightened agitation can actually enhance your likelihood of having future attacks.
In fact, individuals with a history of Panic Disorder are more likely to develop Agoraphobia, or a fear of entrapment in public places—which actually seems pretty logical. After all, when your panic attacks reduce you to curling into the fetal position and trembling on floor of a department store, it can be undoubtedly embarrassing!
Speaking of mortification, here’s a common misconception about panic attacks redressed: Although individuals who have panic attacks may come to over rely on family and friends for comfort and care, they aren’t attention seekers. In fact, frequent panic attacks usually motivate the sufferer to avoid future contact with any triggering event that could catalyze an episode! This in part is why panic attacks can be so devastating—because Panic Disorder can disrupt all aspects of your life, including your performance at work and school and your participation in everyday activities, like grocery shopping or driving your kids to soccer practice!
Signs & Symptoms of Panic Attacks may include:
- Cardiac Symptoms: Terror that makes your heart rate skyrocket, flutter (palpitate), or pound; chest pain
- Respiratory Symptoms & Sensations: Hyperventilating; sensations of suffocation; or feeling as though your throat is swelling shut and you can’t breathe
- Trembling in fear or sobbing uncontrollably
- Restless agitation that makes your skin crawl
- Sudden terror of impending death, losing control, or of going “mad”
- Rushing thoughts, as though hearing your internal voice on a tape recorder that becomes set to fast forward
- Out-of-body detachment or blurring of reality; or conversely, heightened (and painfully intense) sensory perception
- Tunnel vision
- Waves of nausea, dizziness, or pins-and-needles tingling in the extremities; fainting
- Muscular Tension
Long Term Symptoms of Panic Disorder (or Habitual Panic Attacks) may also include:
- Overreliance on family and friends for comfort and care
- Avoidance of everyday activities that might trigger an attack
- Self-medication with drugs or alcohol to mitigate symptoms
- Depression or suicidal thoughts
What Causes Panic Attacks?
Panic attacks often have a discernible cause, for example: a debilitating attack of stage fright or an explosion of anxiety that occurs during a high-pressure exam. However, just as often, panic attacks can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph without any forewarning—even awakening an individual out of a sound sleep!
In addition, certain medical conditions—such as low blood sugar, hyperthyroidism, or specific forms of heart abnormalities—can trigger panic attacks in individuals who would not otherwise be considered susceptible. However, in the absence of an identifiable medical condition, it is unknown why some individuals are more likely to experience panic attacks than others; but genetics, defects in the neuro-processing of stressful stimuli, and endocrine dysfunction are speculated to play a major role. In addition, drug and alcohol consumption or discontinuation can activate the panic response.
How Can Counseling & Therapy For Panic Attacks Improve My Condition?
Although medications can be prescribed to complement counseling for anxiety, psychotherapy is considered to be the gold standard for treating panic attacks. Without therapeutic intervention, individuals who are diagnosed with Panic Disorder are more likely to relapse. Fortunately, a wide range of counseling alternatives exist to effectively manage your panic. Your therapist may recommend:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: addresses maladaptive thought patterns (such as catastrophic thinking or hypervigilance regarding subtle changes in bodily sensation) that perpetuate your likelihood of having panic attacks; replaces destructive beliefs with beneficial coping mechanisms for anxiety that enable you to minimize your anxiety
- Stress Management: targets specific sources of stress in your life (academic, occupational, interpersonal, and more+) and empowers you to proactively identify strategies for ensuring your success without surrendering to emotional overwhelm
- Exposure Therapy: gradual exposure to known triggers that activate your panic response in a safe space where you can practice relaxation tactics to overcome your anxiety
- Relaxation Techniques: methods—such as psychotherapeutic yoga, meditation, mindfulness, guided imagery, biofeedback, and progressive muscle relaxation—that train self-soothing as a mechanism to halt your anxiety mid-panic attack
- Medication Management: as a supplement to traditional therapy, we collaborate with several area physicians who can prescribe and monitor anti-anxiety medications
Meet our counselors who specialize in this issue
- Cori HillMasters Level InternDallas & Park CitiesFees: Start at $50 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Abandonment Issues, Adulting, Anxiety Disorders, Biracial Couples, Blended Families, Business Partner Counseling, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Cross-Cultural Relationships, Depression, Failure to Launch, Families & Mental Illness, Family Issues, Female Sexuality, Infidelity, Interfaith Relationships, Last-Ditch Marital, LGBTQ Couples, Major Depression, Marriage Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Newlyweds, Panic Attacks, Pre-Engagement, Pre-Marital, Quarter-Life Issues, Relationship Issues, Stress Management, Virtual Counseling Sessions, Young Adults, Young Adults in Transition
- Chelsey CharbeneauC-IAYT, E-RYT 500, YACEPDallas OfficeFees: $135 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Anxiety Disorders, Borderline Personality, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Dealing with Chronic Illness, Depression, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Families & Mental Illness, Geriatric Counseling, Mindfulness Training, Panic Attacks, Physical Abuse Recovery, PTSD Recovery, Social Anxiety, Stress Management, Virtual Counseling Sessions, Yoga Therapy
- Kim SalisburyE-RYT500 Yoga Alliance, Yoga Therapist with IAYTDallas OfficeFees: $100 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Anxiety Disorders, Dealing with Chronic Illness, Dealing with OCD, Depression, Eating Disorders, Exercise Addiction, Extreme Dieting, Geriatric Counseling, Insomnia, Mindfulness Training, Panic Attacks, PTSD Recovery, Stress Management, Virtual Counseling Sessions, Yoga Therapy
- Mark ShoemakerPlano OfficeSpecialties: Abuse Recovery, Addiction & Substance Abuse, Anger Management, Anxiety Disorders, Blended Families, career counseling, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Christian Counseling, Christian Marriage Counseling, Christian Pre-engagement, Christian Pre-marital, Complex Trauma Recovery, Couples Counseling, Dealing with OCD, Depression, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Families & Mental Illness, Family Issues, Insomnia, Major Depression, Marriage Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Men's Issues, Panic Attacks, Phobias, Physical Abuse Recovery, Postpartum Depression, PTSD Recovery, Relationship Issues, Religious & Cultural Issues, Social Anxiety, Spousal Abuse Recovedry, Stress Management, Suicidal Thoughts, Trauma & Abuse Recovery
- Jenny WangLPC, LPC-SupervisorFrisco & Plano/RichardsonFees: $155 for a 50 minute session.Specialties: Abandonment Issues, Abuse Recovery, Adolescents, Adoption & Foster Care, Anxiety Disorders, Biracial Couples, Caring for Aging Parents, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Christian Counseling, Codependency Issues, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Complex Trauma Recovery, Couples Counseling, Dealing with Chronic Illness, Dealing with OCD, Depression, Divorce & Adjustment, Divorce & Breakups, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Geriatric Counseling, Panic Attacks, Physical Abuse Recovery, Social Anxiety, Stress Management, suicide prevention, Transgender Adults, Transgender Teens, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Tweens & Teens, Women's Issues
- Linda GrahamLPC-Intern Supervised
by Jenny Wang, LPC-SPlano/Richardson OfficeFees: $95 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Anger Management, Anxiety Disorders, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Dealing with OCD, Depression, Divorce & Adjustment, Infidelity, Insomnia, Major Depression, Marriage Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Panic Attacks, Phobias, Postpartum Depression, Relationship Issues, Social Anxiety, Stress Management, Suicidal Thoughts
- Kayla WhiteLCDC-Intern Supervised
by Jenny Wang, LPC-SFrisco & Plano/RichardsonFees: $95 for a 50 min sessionSpecialties: ADHD, Adolescents, Anxiety Disorders, Bullying, Child Counseling, Child or Play Therapy, Cutting, Dealing with Chronic Illness, Depression, Kids, Teens & Tweens, LGBTQ & Gender Issues, Major Depression, Panic Attacks, Parenting, Postpartum Depression, Self Harm, Social Anxiety, Stress Management, Suicidal Thoughts
- Dieula PrevilonLPC & Life CoachPlano/RichardsonFees: $125 for a 50 min sessionSpecialties: Abuse Recovery, ADHD, Adolescents, Anxiety Disorders, Bipolar Disorder, Biracial Couples, Blended Families, Borderline Personality, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Christian Counseling, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Cutting, Dealing with Abortion, Depression, Divorce & Adjustment, Divorce & Breakups, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Female Sexuality, Life Changing Events, Mental Health Issues, Mood Disorders, Narcissism, Panic Attacks, Physical Abuse Recovery, PTSD Recovery, Self Harm, Sexual Abuse Recovery, Social Anxiety, Spousal Abuse Recovedry, Stress Management, suicide prevention, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Tweens & Teens, Veterans & Military