what is parenting skills training and why do i need it?
At the Lifeologie Institute we know that with a greater understanding of your child, you will be able to more effectively meet your child’s needs without going insane yourself.
All parents need a little parenting help occasionally. Parenting skills training, (aka filial therapy), is an educational process in which you (parents or caregivers) learn how to positively impact your child’s development. You may not realize that you – as a parent – can be a therapeutic agent for your kids. We can teach you how to do that. You will learn effective limit-setting skills to regain control as a parent. You will also learn how to create a nonjudgmental, understanding, and accepting environment that enhances your relationship with your child, facilitating personal growth and change for everyone involved. Cool, huh?
What will my child gain through this process?
- learn to label and healthfully express feelings
- will feel more accepted and understood by you
- will increase self-confidence and self-esteem
- will learn self-control, responsibility, and decision making skills
What will I (the parent/caregiver) gain through this process?
- greater understanding and acceptance of your child (and yourself-BONUS)
- stronger, more positive relationship with your child
- easy and effective limit setting skills
Parenting skills training at the Lifeologie Institute is a different experience for everyone, but generally it requires 10-15, 1.5 hour sessions. This training is offered in an individual (more personalized for you) or group (more economical) format.