Divorce Recovery – Breaking up is (super) hard to do
Divorce recovery – breaking up with a spouse, lover or close friend – can be devastating, leaving you lost, disoriented and confused. At Lifeologie, we understand the pain and suffering of losing an important relationship. Divorce and breakups are devastating life events. Individuals and families experiencing divorce often feel they’re wandering around in a confusion of awful feelings, looking for the new normal.
People going through a divorce or breakup often experience a number of common if unsettling feelings
You’re not alone. All of these feelings are normal during this very difficult time. If you seek help, there is hope.
So what’s around the bend? Divorce recovery – and recovery from any breakup – comes in phases.
Year One: Year of Devastation. You may experience
- a catastrophic sense of loss
- severe disorientation
- weight changes
- overwhelming levels of fear, anger and pain
- feeling as though everything in your life is in a state of flux
- inability or reluctance to go back to work
- difficulty dealing with your kids’ trauma as they change schools or leave friends
This is the most difficult phase of a divorce or breakup. It’s crucial that you seek help during this first year. Are you ready to reach out?
Year Two: Year of Recovery
After the initial year of devastation, in which disorientation rules the day, the second year is characterized by adjustment and recovery (yay!)
- decisions should be a little less agonizing
- nightmarish fears begin to subside
- allow yourself to grieve, learn, and begin to accept the changes in your life
- the tears begun to move from panic and hysteria to healing tears of pain and loss
- revenge seem less attractive
- you may be beginning to find a new identity
- you feel ready to begin exploring the possibilities
Counseling in this phase focuses on re-constructing your life – adjusting and growing in this new reality.
Year of Recovery Coping Suggestion: Pick out something you’ve always wanted to do (finish college? take horseback riding lessons?) and do it!
Year Three: Year of Renewal. This is the year you’ve been waiting for. You may be experiencing
- personal and spiritual growth
- excitement about putting down new roots
- an interest in dating and relationships
- a desire to reclaim lost dreams, or even cultivate new ones
Year of Renewal Coping Suggestion: Spend a day alone (your wedding anniversary, perhaps) going through old photographs and memorabilia from your marriage. Keep the things that are associated with good memories and throw away the rest.
Every individual experiences these phases at their own rate. No matter what phase of recovery you are in, Lifeworks can help. At LifeWorks, we want to help find that elusive door to recovery and walk through it. Are you ready to seek help? Call Lifeworks today! Divorce counseling can help.
Meet our counselors who specialize in this issue
- Melanie WellsLPC, LMFT, LPC & LMFT SupervisorDallas OfficeFees: $230 per 50 min. session.Specialties: Business Partner Counseling, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Divorce & Adjustment, Last-Ditch Marital, Marriage Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Relationship Issues
- Deanne MooreLPC, LMFTDallas Office$185 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Blended Families, Business Partner Counseling, Christian Counseling, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Divorce & Breakups, Family Issues, Infidelity, Last-Ditch Marital, Marriage Counseling, Parental Alienation, Women's Issues
- Noell LusterLife CoachDallas & Fort WorthFees: $95 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Abandonment Issues, Adulting, Aging Issues, Anxiety Disorders, Caring for Aging Parents, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Depression, Divorce & Breakups, Failure to Launch, Geriatric Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Newlyweds, Pre-Engagement, Pre-Marital, Young Adults in Transition
- Katie HermesLPC Intern, LCDC-Intern Supervised by
Melanie Wells, LPC-S, LMFT-SDallas & Fort WorthFees: $90 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Adulting, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Divorce & Adjustment, Failure to Launch, Female Sexuality, Infidelity, Last-Ditch Marital, Newlyweds, Women's Issues, Young Adults in Transition
- Cortney EdwardsLPC Intern Supervised by
Chris Jones, LPC-SFort Worth Office$90 per 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Adolescents, Ayurveda & Lifestyle, Bipolar Disorder, Child Counseling, Child or Play Therapy, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Codependency Issues, Depression, Divorce & Breakups, Failure to Launch, Family Issues, Men's Issues, Mindfulness Training, Mood Disorders, New Parents, Postpartum Depression, Pregnancy Issues, Sexual Identity, Tweens & Teens, Yoga Therapy
- Jenny WangLPC, LPC-SupervisorFrisco & Plano/RichardsonFees: $155 for a 50 minute session.Specialties: Anxiety Disorders, Christian Counseling, Couples Counseling, Dealing with OCD, Depression, Divorce & Adjustment, Divorce & Breakups, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Family Issues, Grief & Loss, Kids, Teens & Tweens, PTSD Recovery, Sexual Abuse Recovery, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Tweens & Teens
- Annalise HarnessPracticum Student Supervised by Ly Tran, LPC-SPlano OfficeFees: $30 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: ADHD, Adolescents, Adulting, Child Counseling, Child or Play Therapy, Dealing with Chronic Illness, Death & Dying, Divorce & Breakups, Grief & Loss, Kids, Teens & Tweens, Loss of Pregnancy, Marriage Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Pre-Engagement, Pre-Marital, Relationship Issues, Tweens & Teens, Young Adults
- Linda GrahamLPC-Intern Supervised
by Jenny Wang, LPC-SPlano/Richardson OfficeFees: $95 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Anger Management, Anxiety Disorders, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Dealing with OCD, Depression, Divorce & Adjustment, Infidelity, Insomnia, Major Depression, Marriage Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Panic Attacks, Phobias, Postpartum Depression, Relationship Issues, Social Anxiety, Stress Management, Suicidal Thoughts
- Dianna AlvidresLPC-Intern Supervised
by Ly Tran, LPC-SPlano/Richardson OfficeSpecialties: Anxiety Disorders, Couples Counseling, Divorce & Adjustment, Marriage Counseling, Parenting, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Young Adults in Transition
- Calvin BurnsLPC Intern, supervised by Ly Tran, LPC-SFrisco & Plano/RichardsonFees: $95 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Christian Counseling, Couples Counseling, Dealing with OCD, Depression, Divorce & Breakups, Marriage Counseling, Newlyweds, suicide prevention
- Dieula PrevilonLPC & Life CoachPlano/RichardsonFees: $125 for a 50 min sessionSpecialties: Abuse Recovery, ADHD, Adolescents, Anxiety Disorders, Bipolar Disorder, Biracial Couples, Blended Families, Borderline Personality, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Christian Counseling, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Cutting, Dealing with Abortion, Depression, Divorce & Adjustment, Divorce & Breakups, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Female Sexuality, Life Changing Events, Mental Health Issues, Mood Disorders, Narcissism, Panic Attacks, Physical Abuse Recovery, PTSD Recovery, Self Harm, Sexual Abuse Recovery, Social Anxiety, Spousal Abuse Recovedry, Stress Management, suicide prevention, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Tweens & Teens, Veterans & Military
- Kelly PedersenLPC Supervisor,
Clinical DirectorAustin OfficeFees: $130 for a 50 minute session.Specialties: Christian Counseling, Complex Trauma Recovery, Couples Counseling, Divorce & Breakups, EMDR, Last-Ditch Marital, Pre-Marital, PTSD Recovery