Trichotillomania & Body Picking Disorders
Trichotillomania and body picking disorders are more common than you think. (TTM), or “trich” (pronounced “trick”) as it is commonly known, is an impulse control disorder characterized by the repeated urge to pull out scalp hair, eyelashes, facial hair, eyebrows or other facial or body hair, sometimes resulting in noticeable bald patches.
Trichotillomania is classified in the DSM-V as an impulse control disorder, but there are still questions about how it should be classified. It may seem, at times, to resemble a habit, an addiction, a tic disorder or an obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Trich seems to strike most frequently in the pre- or early adolescent years. The typical first-time hair puller is 12 years old, although trich can affect people as young as one and as old as seventy.
Onset of trichotillomania usually occurs between 9-11 years old. It can be triggered by simple sensory events such as itchy eyelashes, or seeing an eyelash or hair bulb. Pulling usually occurs while reading, writing, working on the computer, talking on the phone, taking tests, watching tv or falling asleep.
Pulling is not always conscious.
Signs & Symptoms Of Trichotillomania :
- wearing hats, kerchiefs or wigs
- increase in a girls makeup
- excessive fiddling with hair
- preoccupation and anxiety
- academic decline
- avoidance of windy conditions
- avoidance of situations that would expose hair or scars
- changes in social behavior patterns
Body Picking & Hair Pulling
People with Chronic Skin Picking (CSP) repetitively touch, scratch, rub, pick at or dig inot their skin, often in an attempt to remove small irregularities or perceived imperfections. This behavior is a type of body-focused repetitive behaviors which also include hair pulling, biting the insides of the cheeks, and severe nail biting.
Trichotillomania and body picking counseling at Lifeologie can help! Our treatment for trichotillomania and body picking disorders includes talk therapy, behavioral modification, family therapy, and effective alternative treatments such as yoga therapy and mindfulness and meditation.
Let us help you out of the trichotillomania shame cycle! Call Lifeologie today!
Meet our counselors who specialize in this issue
- lauren grogmanLPCPark Cities Office$130 for a 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Adolescents, Anger Management, Anxiety Disorders, Blended Families, Body Picking, Child Counseling, Child or Play Therapy, Depression, Kids, Teens & Tweens, Parental Alienation, Parenting, Trichotillomania, Tweens & Teens, Women's Issues
- Laura Abbott CoanPsychotherapeutic YogaDallas OfficeFees: $105 for 50 min sessionSpecialties: ADHD, Adolescents, Anxiety Disorders, Ayurveda & Lifestyle, Body Picking, Complex Trauma Recovery, Depression, Eating Disorders, Insomnia, Meditation, Mindfulness Training, Psychotherapeutic Yoga, PTSD Recovery, Stress Management, Trichotillomania, Women's Issues, Yoga Therapy