Trauma & Abuse Recovery
Trauma and Abuse Recovery – How is it possible to recover from verbal, emotional, physical or sexual abuse or trauma?
Abuse recovery can seem like a distant fantasy. Survivors of trauma often report that it is impossible to imagine ever feeling good again. One of the terrible legacies of being abused is that the effects of abuse can be hard to shake – even years later.
All forms of abuse are damaging and can leave a lifetime of visible and invisible scars behind. Trauma can be hard to spot. It can also be hard to admit you’re dealing with trauma. Often abuse survivors hide the fact that they’ve been abused — sometimes even denying obvious effects of their abuse experience.
Here are some common symptoms experienced by trauma and abuse survivors:
- flashbacks to an abusive situation
chronic or recurring anxiety
depression – mild to severe
fear of relationships
confusion in relationships
walking on eggshells – even in safe situations
a heightened sense of danger
avoidance of sexual relationships
chronic feelings of shame and self-blame
feeling that you’re never good enough
feeling that being “damaged goods”
self-blame and self-hatred
self-harm or self-destructive activities
suicidal ideation or attempts
substance abuse or addiction
recurrent unexplained physical symptoms – such as muscle aches or fatigue
Abuse can happen to anyone – infants, children, adults and the elderly. And most often, abuse occurs within families or other close relationships and falls into one of the following categories:
- emotional abuse
Abusers are weak individuals who use power to manipulate and control others. The are brilliant manipulators and will often leave their victims confused and wracked with guilt and self-blame. Let’s be clear: abuse is not your fault. It is the fault of the person who abused you. Period. No exceptions.
You deserve to live a healthy, happy life, free of the effects of abuse. If you are recovering from abuse and are ready to seek help, Lifeologie offers a number of options, including talk therapy and the alternative therapies of EMDR, yoga therapy and equine therapy.
It is possible to recover from abuse and leave your trauma behind. Give us a call and start your recovery today!
Meet our counselors who specialize in this issue
- Christopher “Chris” JonesLPC, LPC supervisorDallas & Fort Worth$155 per 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Abuse Recovery, ADHD, Adolescents, Adulting, Complex Trauma Recovery, Conduct Discorder, EMDR, Failure to Launch, Oppositional Defiance, Parenting, PTSD Recovery, Quarter-Life Issues, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Young Adults in Transition
- Mark ShoemakerPlano OfficeSpecialties: Abuse Recovery, Addiction & Substance Abuse, Anger Management, Anxiety Disorders, Blended Families, career counseling, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Christian Counseling, Christian Marriage Counseling, Christian Pre-engagement, Christian Pre-marital, Complex Trauma Recovery, Couples Counseling, Dealing with OCD, Depression, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Families & Mental Illness, Family Issues, Insomnia, Major Depression, Marriage Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Men's Issues, Panic Attacks, Phobias, Physical Abuse Recovery, Postpartum Depression, PTSD Recovery, Relationship Issues, Religious & Cultural Issues, Social Anxiety, Spousal Abuse Recovedry, Stress Management, Suicidal Thoughts, Trauma & Abuse Recovery
- Jenny WangLPC, LPC-SupervisorFrisco & Plano/RichardsonFees: $155 for a 50 minute session.Specialties: Abandonment Issues, Abuse Recovery, Adolescents, Adoption & Foster Care, Anxiety Disorders, Biracial Couples, Caring for Aging Parents, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Christian Counseling, Codependency Issues, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Complex Trauma Recovery, Couples Counseling, Dealing with Chronic Illness, Dealing with OCD, Depression, Divorce & Adjustment, Divorce & Breakups, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Geriatric Counseling, Panic Attacks, Physical Abuse Recovery, Social Anxiety, Stress Management, suicide prevention, Transgender Adults, Transgender Teens, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Tweens & Teens, Women's Issues
- Mark OlkowskiLMFT Associate
Supervised by Lynn
McCracken, LPC-S, LMFT-SFrisco and Plano/RichardsonFees: $85 for a 50 minute session.Specialties: Abandonment Issues, Abuse Recovery, Adolescents, Bipolar Disorder, Blended Families, Borderline Personality, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Christian Counseling, Christian Marriage Counseling, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Divorce & Adjustment, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Failure to Launch, Families & Mental Illness, Family Issues, Infidelity, Last-Ditch Marital, Male Sexuality, Marriage & Gender, Marriage Counseling, Mental Health Issues, Mood Disorders, Narcissism, Newlyweds, Parenting, Pre-Engagement, Pre-Marital, Schizophrenia, Sex & Sexuality, Sex Therapy, Sexual Abuse Recovery, Tweens & Teens, Young Adults, Young Adults in Transition
- Dieula PrevilonLPC & Life CoachPlano/RichardsonFees: $125 for a 50 min sessionSpecialties: Abuse Recovery, ADHD, Adolescents, Anxiety Disorders, Bipolar Disorder, Biracial Couples, Blended Families, Borderline Personality, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Christian Counseling, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Cutting, Dealing with Abortion, Depression, Divorce & Adjustment, Divorce & Breakups, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Female Sexuality, Life Changing Events, Mental Health Issues, Mood Disorders, Narcissism, Panic Attacks, Physical Abuse Recovery, PTSD Recovery, Self Harm, Sexual Abuse Recovery, Social Anxiety, Spousal Abuse Recovedry, Stress Management, suicide prevention, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Tweens & Teens, Veterans & Military