What Are the Goals of Individual Counseling & Therapy?
Individual counseling sessions empower individuals to proactively brainstorm workable solutions to “stuck” problems—enabling positive, healthy, and lasting life changes.
The word “individual” typically highlights the one-on-one therapeutic relationship that emerges between the client and his or her therapist. However, at Lifeologie, while we believe wholeheartedly in the power of the therapeutic relationship: we aren’t overly invested in what’s typical.
Instead, we acknowledge the unique challenges that can arise when one, or even two, people attempt to un-riddle a “stuck” problem in isolation. Which is why, we’ve adopted a unique approach to individual counseling, which prioritizes behind-the-scenes collaboration among our therapeutic team of specialists.
Although our clients still work intensively with a single therapist in whom they trust to confide their concerns, every Monday, we close down shop for three hours to discuss each of our cases as a team.
This means that when your therapist provides you with customized treatment options or clinical feedback, you’re actually receiving the expert perspectives of a team of 30+ clinicians who are each invested in your success.
We make it our mission to infuse our individual counseling sessions with creative solutions, honest, discussions, and a touch of lightheartedness—to unburden all of life’s sticky situations and “stuck” problems.
What Therapeutic Issues Are The Focus Of Individual Counseling Sessions?
In addition, our multi-specialty team of clinical experts is hand-selected from every professional and personal walk of life to leave no stone unturned while addressing your therapeutic needs. We specialize in tackling—count em’!—21 focus areas for individual counseling sessions, including many additional therapy topics that aren’t even listed below!
Our focus areas for counseling, include:
- Abandonment Issues: Conquer clinginess and feelings of worthlessness in interpersonal and romantic relationships; Examine root causes that cemented your fear of abandonment (such as: relationship instability, trauma, or loss in early childhood)
- Abuse: Reclaim your life after a toxic relationship; Heal from Physical, Emotional, or Sexual Abuse and Neglect; Empower children and elders to restore confidence in caregivers and authority figures in the aftermath of abuse or neglect
- Addictions & Compulsions: Overcome addictive and compulsive urges, including Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD); Hoarding Disorder; or Sex, Gambling, Exercise, and Shopping Addictions; Learn mechanisms to self-soothe as tools for curbing obsessive thoughts and actions
- Age & Gender Groups: Receive focused, age-appropriate counseling for children, adolescents, teens & tweens, young adults, and geriatric populations; Consult with a qualified specialist on issues related to Men’s or Women’s physical & mental well-being, interpersonal functioning, sexuality, and social or cultural constructs of masculinity and femininity
- Anger Management: Discover mechanisms for restraining explosive, simmering, or passive-aggressive anger, before your “rage” ruptures a blood vessel! (We totally get it—People are difficult to tolerate sometimes!)
- Anxiety Disorders: Find relief from the jitters (Generalized Anxiety Disorder), five-alarm panic attacks, and stifling cases of Agoraphobia; Confront your dread of social situations and assist your chatty-at-home child to defeat Selective Mutism (or, the terror of speaking) at school
- Behavioral Disorders: Obtain an expert evaluation to learn if you—or your child—suffers from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and enhance your at-work and at-school productivity; Unravel the roots of and modify problematic childhood behavioral disorders, including Oppositional Defiant Disorder (age-inappropriate rule-breaking) and Conduct Disorder (patterns of juvenile delinquency or extreme aggression)
- Christian/Spiritual: Explore counseling issues through the lens of your faith; Address aspects of your life where your actions and spiritual beliefs diverge, generating personal distress; Recruit your faith to persevere through and heal during difficult times
- Codependency: Liberate yourself from the burden of caretaking in unhealthy relationships; Re-concentrate on self-care, self-love, and self-sufficiency; Recover from traumatic events in childhood that perpetuate destructive patterns in your relationships
- Depression: From a wicked case of the blue-blah’s… to “Help! I can’t get outta bed!”, learn how to silence self-defeating thoughts and manage depressive episodes, including generalized depression, Dysthymia, Postpartum Depression, and suicidal urges
- Divorce/Divorce Adjustment: Recuperate from the deep hurt of divorce; Reconfigure your life in the aftershock of singledom and rediscover you; Support children through the process of divorce adjustment (including splitting time between households and blending families through the remarriage of one or both former partners)
- Eating Disorders (ED’s): Ditch the bingeing, purging, and self-loathing of Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge-Eating, or Food Addiction; Embrace (and learn to love) your body type; Receive treatment for slightly less common (but equally challenging) ED’s, including Pica, AFRID, or Rumination Disorder
- Grief & Loss: Find comfort for intractable grief stemming from the loss of a loved one or a life event of difficult transition (including losing your job, moving to a new city, ending a romantic relationship or an intimate friendship, and more+)
- LGBTQ+: Tackle the full spectrum of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer/questioning issues including gender identity and sexual orientation confusion, coming out, encounters with discrimination or violence, planning a family, electing to transition, and more+
- Mental Health Disorders: Receive accurate diagnoses and focused interventions to treat mental health conditions, including Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, Borderline Personality Disorder, and more+
- Posttraumatic Stress: Connect with innovative techniques, including Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) and exposure therapy, to minimize distressing symptoms of PTSD (for Veterans AND survivors of trauma/abuse)
- Self-Enrichment: Rediscover your life purpose and attain enlightenment/self-acceptance; Receive qualified advice on selecting your career path or life journey; Brainstorm solutions to work conflicts, quarter/mid-life crises, or existential dilemmas
- Self-Harm: Regulate urges to self-punish, cope, or achieve autonomy through self-harm methods, including cutting or burning; Inhibit compulsive behaviors, such as Trichotillomania (hair-pulling) or Dermatillomania (skin-picking) that share features with self-injurious behaviors
- Sex & Sexuality: Resolve gender or sexual orientation confusion; Explore medical and psychological bases for sexual dysfunction, including low sexual arousal, absent orgasm, or performance anxiety; Confront your sexual addictions and compulsions, past incidences of sexual abuse, or challenges related to sex that commonly affect romantic couples
- Sleep Disorders: Finally! Get relief from sleeping much too much (Hypersomnia) or much too little (Insomnia); Investigate medical or psychological treatments to reduce your narcoleptic episodes; Minimize the occurrence of chronic, vivid, or thrashing nightmares
- Substance Abuse & Addiction: Receive comprehensive and customizable treatments for alcoholism or drug addiction, including 12-Step, Harm Reduction models (partial-abstention), or innovative and alternative therapies (such as psychotherapeutic yoga, mindfulness, and meditation)