If it feels like you are leaving your teen in the middle of the road, stranded, with no direction every day, we are here to help. Although we were all teens once, sometimes it can be really confusing to master the world of social media, meeting people online, and all of the other joys of the 21st century. Hanging out with friends, dating, clothes, it all looks different. It can be hard to interpret what teens are saying, as developmentally they are usually the center point of all of their stories. It can be even more confusing to understand and interpret what they do.
Parenting a teenager can sometimes feel like you’re convincing them that the sky is lime green. Power struggles happen. Tears are shed. Relationships are strained. We are here to help.
Some changes in teen years are very normal and not a concern. However, here are some indicators that it may be time to seek a therapist:
- No interest in doing things that typically really excited them
- Age- inappropriate sexual behavior (online included)
- Big changes in grades
- More issues at school
- Sudden change in friendships
- Cutting or self-harm
- Alcohol or drug use
- Persistent lying
- Suicidal thoughts or attempts
- Harming people in the family (pets included)
- Poor body image
- Reporting they hate themselves
- Sudden change in relationship with food (eating more or less)
- Withdrawal from friends and or family
- Sudden change in sleeping patterns
- Spending more and more time online or on video games
If you would like to get on the same page with your teenager that the sky is in fact blue, give us a call!