Long Distance Relationships
Long distance relationships can be tough. Tackling the issues a couple might usually face in person can be difficult to do over text, phone, or video. The distance itself also can create or contribute to challenges in the relationship. However, with today’s technology, long-distance relationships have become more commonplace, and fortunately, more manageable as well.
What are some challenges for couples in long-distance relationships?
- Difficulty communicating via text, phone, and video
- Differences in time zones and routines
- Lack of physical touch and affection
- Difficulty comforting each other
- Feelings of loneliness
- Sexual frustration
- Financial cost of visiting and limited vacation time
- Insecurity about the strength of the connection
- Ease of withdrawing from each other following a conflict
- Establishing clear boundaries and expectations
- Ambiguity of how long the relationship can or will remain long-distance
How Counseling Can Help with long-distance relationships
Whether your partnership began as a long-distance relationship or has become one unexpectedly, therapy can assist with its many challenges. Couples can use counseling to prepare for a move or address long-distance difficulties that have seemed impossible to resolve. Individuals can use counseling to understand and manage their own experience in the relationship. Your therapist can help you with:
- Brainstorming creative ideas for strengthening and maintaining your emotional connection from afar
- Processing emotions (such as loneliness, frustration, and sadness) that may arise
- Exploring thoughts, beliefs, and doubts about the relationship you may experience
- Discovering tools for improving communication
- ïImportant: Note that, due to state laws and licensing board ethics, teletherapy may not be possible across state lines with a few exceptions. The good news is that individual therapy for one partner (i.e., one residing in Texas) to address relationship concerns may help improve the overall relationship dynamic.