Blended Family Counseling
What Are The Unique Challenges Confronted By a Blended Family and How Can Blended Family Counseling Help?
Blended family counseling is a necessary tool for modern family life. Here’s a staggering but well-known statistic: Approximately 45% of all U.S. marriages end in divorce. Studies also show that remarriage is on the rise, with the vast majority of divorced singles eventually entering into a second union with a new spouse.
But, is it happily-ever-after on the second time around?
Blended Families face their own unique set of quirky challenges, as two distinctly different family dynamics merge, or perhaps more accurately, collide.
Research shows that blended families require at least two to five years before hitting their stride. Of course, there’s some pretty delicate and weighty emotional baggage to handle in the meantime. Some challenges in blended families: surly stepchildren who struggle to adjust to a step-parent; frustrated parents and step-parents constantly negotiating roles; merging two households and two family cultures; kids being shuffled back and forth between parents. It’s an exhaustive (and exhausting) list.
How can a blended family ever survive?
Some of the unique challenges that are confronted by blended families:
- Routine: It’s no secret that kids tend to function better when they have a routine. For many blended families, establishing a predictable schedule is the single biggest challenge, from deciding what gives when Sarah has choir practice at the same time Allison attends karate, to ironing out the essentials like bedtimes. If household #1 allows Jason a weekday bedtime of 9pm, but household #2 selects a bedtime of 10:30 pm, it may not seem like the end of the world to anyone involved—except to 8-year-old Jason! Buckle up for other-worldly tantrums!)
- Discipline: Newly formed parenting duos in blended families can go from 0 to 60 the moment that “I do’s” are exchanged. Before the wedding, you may have been by the kids as dad’s cool girlfriend or mom’s hilarious boyfriend, but now you’re perceived as a rule-wielding, monster-nuisance. Or you may be undergoing the discovery process, in which you learn that your better half is a parenting pushover — or a drill sergeant with the parenting finesse of animals who devour their young. Time to get on the same page, before your kids, those tiny, crafty masterminds, start pitting parent against stepparent as they vie to dodge punishments or snag coveted, extra videogame time.
- Resentment (Stepkids): “You’re not my real mommy!” Depending upon the day, that phrase either stings like a second-degree sunburn, or you’re thinking… “Yeah! And, thank goodness for that!”. Breaking bread with stepkids who loathe your unsolicited intrusion into their lives is like a nightmarish “Would you rather…” where swallowing thumbtacks ALWAYS wins out. But the good news is: it gets better! Learn how to win their trust, diminish jealousy, and tackle the heavy issues (for example: supporting your stepkids through the grieving process after the death of your partner’s former spouse; or addressing the “contentious” age-difference between you and your new partner).
- Sibling Rivalry: Kids don’t choose their biological families any more than they choose their blended families—only now, your kids have been hand-gifted with a tangible source of misplaced blame: and that anger outlet includes their cast of new brothers and sisters. While some combinations simply don’t mix (like a baking soda and vinegar experiment gone horribly wrong), your kids can be expected to struggle, as they jealously observe you endeavoring to bond with a “stranger’s” children. Learn how to strike a balance between reassuring your biological kids vs. caving to their every whim or neglecting your stepchildren.
- The Ex Factor: If your new partner’s atrocious ex is still in the picture as a parent, then it’s highly likely that you’re going to be forced to reach a semi-sour détente, even if you’d much rather function as bitter rivals than as faux-peaceful allies. Learn how to rise above acrimonious encounters with the troll—and maybe even forge a smoothly operating parenting alliance with what’s-his-or-her-name over time.
- Bonding with Stepchildren: Sometimes it feels like it takes a manual. You want to connect with your stepchildren… but you don’t want to rush them. Or maybe, courtesy of your new marriage, you’re a first time insta-parent and this whole parenting thing feels foreign to you, like trying to write a novel with your non-dominant hand… or your foot. Learn how to navigate the clumsy bonding process with the poise of a pro… and the patience of a saint!
- Keeping Love Alive: With all the added challenges of a blended family, it can be difficult to remember how it all began: with two people falling in love. When the pressure feels like it’s much TOO MUCH, we’ll help you make it through the tunnel to the other side!
How Can Counseling & Therapy For Blended Families Help Me?
Blended families often benefit from FAMILY (AS OPPOSED TO INDIVIDUAL) COUNSELING SESSIONS, although it may be useful for parents to meet initially in separate sessions to iron out basics, or for a child who is having a particularly difficult time to undergo additional sessions. Regardless, YOUR FAMILY THERAPIST will help you to:
- Establish a family consensus regarding rules and expectations, “fair” punishments, and the nuts and bolts of a weekly routine
- Develop strategies for co-parenting with exes, when your children split their time between separate households
- Allow children to vocalize their frustrations, worries, jealousies, and fears; and equip parents with the tools to reassure their biological kids while also identifying “family-accepted” ways to bond with stepchildren
- Resolve sibling rivalry by assisting children to accept their new brothers and sisters as friends instead of foes
- Furnish children with adaptive coping mechanisms, when their behavior becomes problematic at home or school
- Confront heavy issues, like the death of a former spouse or a child’s knowledge of your infidelity in a previous marriage
- Tackle unanticipated financial difficulties, as your family doubles or triples in size following your remarriage
- Maintain a resilient and loving connection with your partner, as you navigate the pitfalls and rewards of co-parenting in a blended family!
Our Counselors That Help With This Issue
- by specialty
- anger management
- anxiety & stress
- child & play therapy
- eating disorders
- family issues
- Grief & Loss
- LGBTQ & gender issues
- marriage & couples
- personality disorders
- teens & tweens
- trauma / ptsd
- by credential
- Clinical Director
- Franchise Owner
- LCDC Intern
- LMFT Supervisor
- LPC interns & LMFT associates
- LPC Supervisor
- Masters Level Interns
- Office & Support Staff
- Psychotherapeutic Yoga
- Senior Clinician
- therapy assistants
- by location
- dallas office
- fort worth office
- frisco office
- plano / richardson
- reduced fee counselors
- Deanne MooreLPC, LMFTDallas Office$185 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Adoption & Foster Care, Blended Families, Business Partner Counseling, Christian Counseling, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Divorce & Breakups, Family Issues, Infidelity, Last-Ditch Marital, Marriage Counseling, Parental Alienation, Women's Issues
- Cori HillLPC-Intern, LMFT Associate, NCC
Supervised by Melanie Wells, LPC-S, LMFT-SDallas & Park Cities$105 per 50 minute session (ask about reduced rates)Specialties: Abandonment Issues, Adulting, Biracial Couples, Blended Families, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Cross-Cultural Relationships, Depression, Divorce & Breakups, Failure to Launch, Family Issues, Female Sexuality, Grief & Loss, Infidelity, Interfaith Relationships, Last-Ditch Marital, LGBTQ & Gender Issues, LGBTQ Couples, Male Sexuality, Marriage Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Men's Issues, Multi-Cultural Issues, Newlyweds, Parental Alienation, Pre-Engagement, Pre-Marital, Quarter-Life Issues, Relationship Issues, Sex & Sexuality, Sex Therapy, Social Anxiety, Stress Management, Tweens & Teens, Women's Issues, Young Adults, Young Adults in Transition
- Dieula PrevilonLPC & Life CoachFrisco & Plano/RichardsonFees: $135 for a 50 min sessionSpecialties: Abuse Recovery, ADHD, Adolescents, Biracial Couples, Blended Families, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Christian Marriage Counseling, Couples Counseling, Divorce & Adjustment, Divorce & Breakups, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Infidelity, Life Changing Events, Marriage Counseling, Parenting, Physical Abuse Recovery, Sexual Abuse Recovery, Spousal Abuse Recovedry, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Tweens & Teens, Veterans & Military, Young Adults, Young Adults in Transition
- Carrie CravensLCSWFrisco & Plano/RichardsonFees: $165 for a 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Adolescents, Adoption & Foster Care, Anxiety Disorders, Blended Families, Child or Play Therapy, Codependency Issues, Family Issues, Kids, Teens & Tweens, Life Changing Events, Parenting, Relationship Issues, Social Anxiety, Stress Management, Tweens & Teens, Women's Issues, Young Adults in Transition
- LPC, LPC supervisorDallas & Fort Worth$165 per 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Abuse Recovery, Adolescents, Adulting, Anxiety Disorders, Complex Trauma Recovery, Conduct Discorder, Depression, EMDR, Failure to Launch, Men's Issues, Oppositional Defiance, Parenting, PTSD Recovery, Quarter-Life Issues, Young Adults in Transition
- LPCDallas & Fort WorthFees:
Therapy: $130 per session
Yoga: $70 per hour session
$90 per 1.5 hour sessionSpecialties: ADHD, Adolescents, Adulting, Anxiety Disorders, Bullying, Child Counseling, Child or Play Therapy, Cutting, Depression, EMDR, Grief & Loss, Self Harm, Stress Management, Suicidal Thoughts, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Tweens & Teens, Yoga Therapy
- LPC, LMFTDallas Office$185 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Adoption & Foster Care, Blended Families, Business Partner Counseling, Christian Counseling, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Divorce & Breakups, Family Issues, Infidelity, Last-Ditch Marital, Marriage Counseling, Parental Alienation, Women's Issues
- Psychotherapeutic YogaDallas OfficeFees: $105 for 50 min sessionSpecialties: ADHD, Adolescents, Anxiety Disorders, Ayurveda & Lifestyle, Body Picking, Complex Trauma Recovery, Depression, Eating Disorders, Insomnia, Meditation, Mindfulness Training, Psychotherapeutic Yoga, PTSD Recovery, Stress Management, Trichotillomania, Women's Issues, Yoga Therapy
- LMFTDallas & Fort Worth$125 per 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Business Partner Counseling, Couples Counseling, Female Sexuality, Infidelity, LGBTQ & Gender Issues, LGBTQ Couples, Male Sexuality, Marriage & Gender, Marriage Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Newlyweds, Parenting, Pre-Marital, Sex Therapy, Sexual Identity, Women's Issues
- Greeter and
Registered Therapy DogDallas & Park Citiesone Cheerio per session
- Greeter and
Registered Therapy DogDallas & Park Citiesone Cheerio per session
- LPC, LCDC-InternDallas & Fort WorthFees;
Therapy: $130 per 50 min
Veteran/Military discount: $65 per 50 minute session Psychotherapeutic yoga:
$90 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Anxiety Disorders, Behavioral Addictions, Depression, Drug and Alcohol Abuse, Eating Disorders, EMDR, Mindfulness Training, Psychotherapeutic Yoga, PTSD Recovery, Stress Management, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Veterans & Military, Yoga Therapy
- LPC Intern, supervised by Ly Tran, LPC-SFrisco & Plano/RichardsonFees: $105 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Anxiety Disorders, Christian Counseling, Christian Marriage Counseling, Couples Counseling, Dealing with OCD, Depression, Divorce & Breakups, Major Depression, Marriage Counseling, Newlyweds, Relationship Issues, Suicidal Thoughts, suicide prevention
- LPC Intern, LCDC-Intern Supervised by
Melanie Wells, LPC-S, LMFT-SDallas & Fort WorthFees: $125 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Adulting, Anxiety Disorders, Attachment, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Divorce & Adjustment, Enneagram, Failure to Launch, Female Sexuality, Infidelity, Last-Ditch Marital, Millenial Relationships, Newlyweds, Pre-Engagement, Pre-Marital, Women's Issues, Young Adults in Transition
- LPC Intern, LCDC Intern Supervised by
Chris Jones, LPC-SFort Worth Office$90 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Body Image, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Cutting, Eating Disorders, Grief & Loss, LGBTQ & Gender Issues, LGBTQ Couples, New Parents, Pre-Marital, Pregnancy Issues, Self Harm, Young Adults in Transition
- LPC Intern Supervised by
Chris Jones, LPC-SFort Worth Office$90 per 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Adolescents, Ayurveda & Lifestyle, Bipolar Disorder, Child Counseling, Child or Play Therapy, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Codependency Issues, Depression, Divorce & Breakups, Failure to Launch, Family Issues, Men's Issues, Mindfulness Training, Mood Disorders, New Parents, Postpartum Depression, Pregnancy Issues, Sexual Identity, Tweens & Teens, Yoga Therapy
- LPCDallas & Fort WorthFees: $130 for 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Adulting, Anxiety Disorders, Bipolar Disorder, Biracial Couples, Borderline Personality, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Cross-Cultural Relationships, Depression, EMDR, Families & Mental Illness, Men's Issues, Multi-Cultural Issues, Quarter-Life Issues, Relationship Issues, Schizophrenia, Women's Issues, Young Adults in Transition