LGBTQ Counseling & Therapy
What Is LGBTQ Counseling & Why All Of Those Letters?!?
LGBTQ stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, or Questioning/Queer. Sometimes the abbreviation is expanded to include an “I” for Intersexed, which refers to an individual whose “biological” sex neither fits the reproductive criteria for male nor female; or an “A” for Asexual.
Although society has become more accepting of the LGBTQ+ community as a whole, most individuals in the LGBTQ community will struggle with a variety of unique issues at one time or another.
How Can LGBTQ Therapy & Counseling Help Me?
Working with a counselor who is qualified to respond to LGBTQ issues with understanding and care can help you address your therapeutic concerns—even if your issue does not overtly relate to your status as a member of the LGBTQ community. A competent counselor who is trained in LGBTQ issues can help you appreciate the multi-layered cultural and societal concerns that may factor into your situation or wire your thought processes (even outside of your awareness).
As counseling options, your therapist may recommend:
- Individual counseling: to address any of the unique issues outlined above or a specific mental health concern, such as depression, anxiety, substance abuse, etc.
- LGBTQ support groups: to encourage networking and a sense of community with your LGBTQ peers, and to expose you to a range of LGBTQ narratives that are both related to and distinct from your own experiences
- Couples counseling: which should acknowledge where relevant, the extraordinary stressors that are placed upon LGBTQ persons, individually and collectively, and help you process these challenges as they arise in the context of your relationship
- Family counseling: which recognizes the spectrum of issues faced by LGBTQ families, from pursuing adoption rights to planning birth to raising children with two mommies or two daddies, etc.
Whether you seek individual counseling to address a mental health concern, couples counseling to enhance the quality of your relationship, or family counseling to bond more deeply as a unit, your therapist should view your situation free from the lens of bias and make you feel at ease. At Lifeologie, we pride ourselves on addressing the many facets that create the whole person: LGBTQ+–and beyond.
Meet our counselors who specialize in this issue
- Mary MillerLMFTDallas & Fort Worth$125 per 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Business Partner Counseling, Couples Counseling, Female Sexuality, Infidelity, LGBTQ & Gender Issues, LGBTQ Couples, Male Sexuality, Marriage & Gender, Marriage Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Newlyweds, Parenting, Pre-Marital, Sex Therapy, Sexual Identity, Women's Issues
- Cori HillLPC-Intern, NCC
Supervised by Melanie Wells, LPC-SDallas & Park Cities$100 per 50 minute session (ask about reduced rates)Specialties: Abandonment Issues, Adulting, Biracial Couples, Blended Families, Business Partner Counseling, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Cross-Cultural Relationships, Depression, Divorce & Breakups, Failure to Launch, Family Issues, Female Sexuality, Grief & Loss, Infidelity, Interfaith Relationships, Last-Ditch Marital, LGBTQ & Gender Issues, LGBTQ Couples, Male Sexuality, Marriage Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Men's Issues, Multi-Cultural Issues, Newlyweds, Pre-Engagement, Pre-Marital, Quarter-Life Issues, Relationship Issues, Sex & Sexuality, Sex Therapy, Social Anxiety, Stress Management, Tweens & Teens, Women's Issues, Young Adults, Young Adults in Transition
- Cortney EdwardsLPC Intern Supervised by
Chris Jones, LPC-SFort Worth Office$90 per 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Adolescents, Ayurveda & Lifestyle, Bipolar Disorder, Child Counseling, Child or Play Therapy, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Codependency Issues, Depression, Divorce & Breakups, Failure to Launch, Family Issues, Men's Issues, Mindfulness Training, Mood Disorders, New Parents, Postpartum Depression, Pregnancy Issues, Sexual Identity, Tweens & Teens, Yoga Therapy
- Jessica LatchawLPC Intern, LCDC Intern Supervised by
Chris Jones, LPC-SFort Worth Office$90 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Body Image, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Cutting, Eating Disorders, Grief & Loss, LGBTQ & Gender Issues, LGBTQ Couples, New Parents, Pre-Marital, Pregnancy Issues, Self Harm, Young Adults in Transition
- Mark LuffLPC-Intern, Supervised by Von Eaglin, LPC-SDallas OfficeFees: $90 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Adolescents, Adult Children of Alcoholics, Anxiety Disorders, Christian Counseling, Couples Counseling, Drug and Alcohol Abuse, Infidelity, Interfaith Relationships, Last-Ditch Marital, LGBTQ Couples, Male Sexuality, Marriage Counseling, Men's Issues, New Parents, Newlyweds, Pre-Engagement, Pre-Marital, Relationship Issues, Sexual Identity
- Saliha QadirLife CoachDallas officeFees: $90 for 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Anger Management, Arranged Marriages, Behavioral Addictions, Couples Counseling, Depression, Drug and Alcohol Abuse, Infidelity, Interfaith Relationships, LGBTQ & Gender Issues, Marriage Counseling, Mental Health Issues, Religious & Cultural Issues, Sex & Sexuality, Women's Issues
- Misty DiazMasters level InternDallas Office$55 per 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Bipolar Disorder, career counseling, Family Issues, LGBTQ & Gender Issues, Marriage & Gender, Mental Health Issues, Self Harm, Sexual Identity, Trauma & Abuse Recovery
- Kayla WhiteLPC-Intern Supervised
by Jenny Wang, LPC-SFriscoFees: $105 for a 50 min sessionSpecialties: ADHD, Adolescents, Bullying, Child Counseling, Child or Play Therapy, Cutting, Depression, Divorce & Breakups, Grief & Loss, Kids, Teens & Tweens, LGBTQ & Gender Issues, Major Depression, Mood Disorders, Parenting, Self Harm, Suicidal Thoughts, Young Adults