Spousal abuse and family violence can happen to anyone. You’d probably be surprised how many people you know have gone through or are experiencing an abusive relationship right now. The first step in getting out of an abusive relationship is to realize that you have the right to be treated with respect and not be physically or emotionally harmed by another person. Abuse recovery counseling at LifeWorks can help.
What are the signs of abuse?
Abuse can be verbal, emotional, physical or sexual. Abuse is any behavior that is designed to control and defeat another human being through the use of fear, humiliation, and verbal or physical assaults. Abuse can occur in dating relationships, marriage and friendships and of course, abuse can happen to children at the hands of parents, relatives or caregivers.
If you can relate to any of the things listed below, you are experiencing abuse:
- slapping, pushing, grabbing, shaking, smacking, kicking, punching
- attempts to control different aspects of your life: how you should dress, who you spend time with, what you say, demanding to know where you are at all times
- humiliation – making you feel unworthy
- insults and belittling
- threats to harm you/harm themselves if you leave
- twisting of the truth by telling you that it is your fault the abuse happened
- constant jealousy or anger when you spent time with friends and/or family
- unwanted sexual advances that make you feel uncomfortable
If you or someone you love is struggling with abuse or abuse recovery, don’t give up hope. Even the deepest wounds can heal.