Substance Abuse Counseling
Is Substance Abuse Counseling Right For Me?
Binge-drinking on the weekend? Popping a few pills to get by? When does substance use qualify as substance abuse? When you use substances in place of healthier coping skills. And when you are unable to overcome addictive and compulsive self-destructive urges such as drinking, taking drugs, gambling, exercising, shopping, gaming or engaging in self-destructive sexual behavior.
Substance abuse transforms into “addiction” when the user develops a physiological and psychological dependence on the drug or behavior. If you find yourself needing more and more to get what the high you’re looking for, you might be experiencing addiciton.
Withdrawal symptoms are also a sure sign of addiction. If you feel awful when you quit smoking, drinking, drugging … or doing anything else compulsively, you may have an addiciton.
What Are The Signs & Symptoms Of Substance Abuse?
Commonly abused substances include alcohol, nicotine, marijuana, and drugs, such as prescription opioids, cocaine, sleep aids & tranquilizers, and heroin. General indicators of substance abuse/addiction may include
Cravings for drugs & alcohol that motivate you to seek out the substance in higher and higher quantities, with an acquired tolerance building over time
Withdrawal symptoms of nausea, vomiting, sweating, elevated heart rate, muscular aches, mild to intense anxiety, tremors, hallucinations, or seizures that coincide with attempts to cease use of the substance
Denial: adamantly denying (when confronted) or concealing your substance use from others
Education/Work: the substance negatively impairs your performance in academic or occupational spheres (e.g. poor grades, absenteeism, losing your job, or ending up on thin ice with your employer)
A decline in interpersonal functioning (instability in familial, social, and romantic relationships)
Self-isolation or developing destructive friendships with other substance users
Legal consequences: receiving a DUI, DWI, public intoxication citation, jail time, assault or larceny charge, or losing custody of your child
Missing payments: auto, rent, credit card, and more … to support your substance habit
Borrowing money or stealing from loved ones to fund your drug and alcohol consumption
“Dead”, bloodshot, dilated, glazed, or “bug” eyes
Insomnia or fatigue
A depressed or enhanced appetite; weight fluctuations
Anxiety, shame, depression, irritability, mood swings, or anhedonia (an absence of pleasure/enjoyment for formerly pleasant activities)
Memory or concentration disturbances
The appearance of paranoid, delusional, or hallucinatory behavior
Suicidal Ideation – Please seek help immediately if your substance use makes you feel out of control—especially if you think you might be in danger of harming yourself or someone you know!
How Can Substance Abuse Therapy Help My Addiction?
Many individuals who abuse drugs and alcohol or engage in self-destructive behaviors often have a co-occurring psychological condition that encourages substance use as a method of “self-medication” to alleviate the distressing symptoms of the original condition.
Effective counseling for addiction will Identify this underlying condition—whether anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, PTSD, sexual or physical trauma, etc.—and challenge your assumptions about the substance serving as a “valuable” coping mechanism. Your therapist will help you to evaluate how your substance use affects yourself and others and help you to identify effective alternatives for coping.
Your therapist can also connect you with resources that are appropriate to treat your form of substance abuse.
Your therapist may recommend 12-Step or support groups to supplement your treatment, a Harm Reduction model of therapy (which involves managing your substance use in lieu of complete cessation), alternative therapies (mindfulness, meditation, or psychotherapeutic yoga), or inpatient care/rehab to provide you with around the clock professional/medical care while you recover.
Your therapist may also recommend family or couples counseling to assist others in best learning how to support you, to resolve conflicts related or accessory to your drug use, to equip others with coping mechanisms for understanding your condition, and to address issues of codependency (where one partner or family member unintentionally enables your addiction).
Recovery from substance abuse and addiction is a life-long journey—and it may be the hardest thing you ever do—but it’s worth it! Lifeologie can help you get your life back!
Meet our counselors who specialize in this issue
- Adriana SpeikerLPC, LCDC-InternDallas & Fort WorthFees;
Therapy: $130 per 50 min
Veteran/Military discount: $65 per 50 minute session Psychotherapeutic yoga:
$90 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Anxiety Disorders, Behavioral Addictions, Depression, Drug and Alcohol Abuse, Eating Disorders, EMDR, Mindfulness Training, Psychotherapeutic Yoga, PTSD Recovery, Stress Management, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Veterans & Military, Yoga Therapy
- Sweta AhujaLPC-Intern Supervised by Melanie Wells, LPC-S, LMFT-SDallas & Fort WorthFees: $130 for 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Adulting, Anxiety Disorders, Bipolar Disorder, Biracial Couples, Borderline Personality, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Cross-Cultural Relationships, Depression, EMDR, Families & Mental Illness, Men's Issues, Multi-Cultural Issues, Quarter-Life Issues, Relationship Issues, Schizophrenia, Women's Issues, Young Adults in Transition
- Kirsten ShafferLMFT Associate Supervised by Dr. Misti Sparks, LMFT-SDallas & Fort WorthFees: $90 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Anorexia, Behavioral Addictions, Bullimia, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Drug and Alcohol Abuse, Eating Disorders, Families & Mental Illness, Family Issues, Marriage Counseling
- Cortney EdwardsLPC Intern Supervised by
Chris Jones, LPC-SFort Worth Office$90 per 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Adolescents, Ayurveda & Lifestyle, Bipolar Disorder, Child Counseling, Child or Play Therapy, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Codependency Issues, Depression, Divorce & Breakups, Failure to Launch, Family Issues, Men's Issues, Mindfulness Training, Mood Disorders, New Parents, Postpartum Depression, Pregnancy Issues, Sexual Identity, Tweens & Teens, Yoga Therapy
- Jessica LatchawLPC Intern, LCDC Intern Supervised by
Chris Jones, LPC-SFort Worth Office$90 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Body Image, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Cutting, Eating Disorders, Grief & Loss, LGBTQ & Gender Issues, LGBTQ Couples, New Parents, Pre-Marital, Pregnancy Issues, Self Harm, Young Adults in Transition
- Mark LuffLPC-InternDallas OfficeFees: $90 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Adolescents, Adult Children of Alcoholics, Anxiety Disorders, Christian Counseling, Couples Counseling, Drug and Alcohol Abuse, Infidelity, Interfaith Relationships, Last-Ditch Marital, LGBTQ Couples, Male Sexuality, Marriage Counseling, Men's Issues, New Parents, Newlyweds, Pre-Engagement, Pre-Marital, Relationship Issues, Sexual Identity
- Kim SalisburyE-RYT500 Yoga Alliance, Yoga Therapist with IAYTDallas OfficeFees: $100 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Anxiety Disorders, Dealing with Chronic Illness, Dealing with OCD, Depression, Eating Disorders, Exercise Addiction, Extreme Dieting, Geriatric Counseling, Insomnia, Mindfulness Training, Panic Attacks, PTSD Recovery, Stress Management, Virtual Counseling Sessions, Yoga Therapy
- Saliha QadirLife CoachDallas officeFees: $90 for 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Anger Management, Arranged Marriages, Behavioral Addictions, Couples Counseling, Depression, Drug and Alcohol Abuse, Infidelity, Interfaith Relationships, LGBTQ & Gender Issues, Marriage Counseling, Mental Health Issues, Religious & Cultural Issues, Sex & Sexuality, Women's Issues
- Misty DiazMasters level InternDallas Office$55 per 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Bipolar Disorder, career counseling, Family Issues, LGBTQ & Gender Issues, Marriage & Gender, Mental Health Issues, Self Harm, Sexual Identity, Trauma & Abuse Recovery
- Calvin BurnsLPC Intern, supervised by Ly Tran, LPC-SFrisco & Plano/RichardsonFees: $105 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Anxiety Disorders, Christian Counseling, Christian Marriage Counseling, Couples Counseling, Dealing with OCD, Depression, Divorce & Breakups, Major Depression, Marriage Counseling, Newlyweds, Relationship Issues, Suicidal Thoughts, suicide prevention