How Can Self-Enrichment Counseling Help Me Find My Life Purpose?
A major complaint associated with depression is the sensation of being adrift. Crippling sadness can make life seem meaningless, like being buffeted by a directionless force. In physics, the tendency to drift toward chaos is called Entropy; in therapy, we reclassify “psychological drift” as a disconnection from life purpose.
Often, individuals “disconnect” from their life purpose when they settle. For example:
- When you settle for the drudgery of a job that you despise because it pays the bills
- When you become “stuck” or “inert” in a destructive relationship because the familiar is secure
- When you allow risk aversion to prevent yourself from pursuing your dreams or from taking reasonable chances
- When you convince yourself that you “deserve” what you’re given and don’t aspire to more
Similarly, a common dilemma associated with anxiety is “decision paralysis”. In a world of limitless possibilities, how can you stumble upon the career pathway that best suits your many talents and countless interests?
With self-enrichment counseling, you can reconnect with your life purpose and defeat self-handicapping behaviors or decision paralysis. In addition, self-enrichment counseling can enhance the quality of your professional, interpersonal, recreational, and spiritual life by allowing you to:
Ambition, Career, & Finance
- Discover a satisfying career that offers unlimited opportunities for professional and personal growth; Pursue your ambitions whether your dreams entail being the best stay-at-home parent you can be, an environmental activist, or a corporate business leader
- Resolve “stuck” dilemmas at your job related to aggressive or antagonistic supervisors; malicious or catty coworkers; performance or motivational slumps; or advocating for the promotion that you deserve
- Conquer unexpected financial hurdles and budget for your family’s future (retirements, college funds, dream vacations, and more+!)
Interpersonal & Romantic Relationships
- Enrich your romantic relationships by breaking free from destructive dating cycles; and deepening your emotional & sexual connection with the “keepers”
- Reclaim your life after breakups, divorces, infidelity, abuse, trauma, grief, or job loss
- Expand your social circle and surround yourself with compassionate and motivating influences
Balance, Exploration, Spirituality, & Life Purpose
- Strike the perfect balance among career, family, romance, and leisure
- Live a life of self-exploration and achieve self-fulfillment by uncovering new passions and reconnecting with dormant interests (e.g. photography, hiking, bull riding, blogging, etc.)
- Become a lifelong learner (e.g. pursue your Ph.D. in molecular biology; enroll in a ceramics or wilderness survival class; join a yoga studio, library, or gym; create art at home or embark upon a do-it-yourself renovation project, etc.)
- Confront quarter-life, mid-life, What am I doing with my life?, and motivational crises, as well as existential dilemmas of larger scope (i.e. What is the meaning of life?)
- Redefine your spiritual views where distressing ambiguities exist; and find innovative outlets for spiritual discovery and expression