Aging gracefully in a youth-obsessed world sounds impossible, but a little perspective and some help from our experts can go a long way!
What Are The Unique Challenges Of Aging?
In our culture, age is a dirty word and aging is something to hide. We put so much stock in youth or the appearance of youth that we come to grieve the early signs of aging—crow’s feet that cluster around the eyes, the silvering of hair, or the loss of muscle tone—in the same way that we’d suffer a loss. We forget that aging is a natural stage of life — one that can be amazing and wonderful if we can lean into it even as we fight it off.
For many, aging is defined by a constant cycle of loss:
- Losing your health: when your mind remains as sharp as ever but physical ailments and illnesses interfere with your day-to-day activities
Losing your senses: when your visual acuity, hearing, and sense of taste and smell decline, muting your perception and awareness of the world
Losing your autonomy: when your health status forces you to rely on others in order to meet your basic needs
Losing your relevance: when you can feel the world changing around you—like water rushing beneath your feet—and leaving you behind
- Counseling for grief and loss associated with aging can help relieve the inevitable pain caused by the multiple losses associated with aging!
We believe that the aging process can actually be pretty fantastic.
And with a little creativity, you can come to view the aging process with a sense of humor, enhanced self-awareness, and a deepened connection between yourself and your family.
One of the unique challenges facing adults today is, ironically, longevity. The average lifespan has increased significantly. On one hand, aging adults have the advantage of spending more time with family — seeing grandchildren and even great-grandchildren grow up. However, health concerns increase with age as well. and sometimes family members of aging individuals find themselves in a caregiving role for which they may not be fully prepared.
Caring for someone who is aging
Although aging is a universal challenge, serving as a caregiver can be equally as difficult.
- Are you…
Watching a loved one’s mental or physical functioning deteriorate from cancer, Alzheimer’s, or a stroke?
- Grieving the loss of a parent while your remaining parent grieves the loss of his/her spouse?
- Coping with the loss of a loved one’s independence (e.g. loss of mobility, the inability to drive, or a premature retirement because of health concerns)?
- Devoting around-the-clock care to your loved one or balancing caregiving with a career?
- Showing early warning signs of caregiver burnout or feeling bitter and trapped about fulfilling your caregiver role?Don’t lose hope! Help is available to help with the unique stressors of caring for an aging family member. Our Lifeologie team of counseling specialists can help you to manage the unique challenges of caregiving.
A healthy approach to caregiving involves self-care as well as caring for others. Don’t carry your burdens alone! Lifeologie can help lighten the load!
Meet our counselors who specialize in these issues
- Tristyn “Noell” LusterLPC Intern, supervised by Chris Jones, LPC-SDallas & Fort WorthFees: $95 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Abandonment Issues, Adulting, Aging Issues, Anxiety Disorders, Caring for Aging Parents, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Depression, Divorce & Breakups, Failure to Launch, Geriatric Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Newlyweds, Pre-Engagement, Pre-Marital, Young Adults in Transition
- Chelsey CharbeneauC-IAYT, E-RYT 500, YACEPDallas OfficeFees: $135 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Anxiety Disorders, Borderline Personality, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Dealing with Chronic Illness, Depression, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Families & Mental Illness, Geriatric Counseling, Mindfulness Training, Panic Attacks, Physical Abuse Recovery, PTSD Recovery, Social Anxiety, Stress Management, Virtual Counseling Sessions, Yoga Therapy
- Kim SalisburyE-RYT500 Yoga Alliance, Yoga Therapist with IAYTDallas OfficeFees: $100 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Anxiety Disorders, Dealing with Chronic Illness, Dealing with OCD, Depression, Eating Disorders, Exercise Addiction, Extreme Dieting, Geriatric Counseling, Insomnia, Mindfulness Training, Panic Attacks, PTSD Recovery, Stress Management, Virtual Counseling Sessions, Yoga Therapy
- Jody RichLPC-Intern Supervised by
Kelly Pedersen, LPC-SAustin OfficeFees: $90.00-$110.00 for a 50 minute session.Specialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Aging Issues, Anger Management, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, existential issues, Family Issues, Relationship Issues, Stress Management, Trauma & Abuse Recovery