Parenting Counseling & Therapy
How Can Parent Counseling and Parent Training Help Me Become A More Successful Parent
10 Common Parenting Topics & How Parental Counseling & Therapy Can Help
- First-time Parents: Could any prospect be… simultaneously more nerve-wracking and exciting than accepting the lifelong responsibility of nurturing a tiny human? We can help you strategize for what’s to come! Learn how to juggle your career with parenthood; Preplan parenting roles & responsibilities to prevent unintended romance ruptures; Ensure your child’s best developmental outcomes; and, weed out the “good” advice from the well-intended—but ultimately, misguided.
- Attachment: Empower your infant to form healthy attachment bonds to you that ensure emotionally secure relationships with others in later life; Practice implementing your attachment skills during Filial Therapy (an extension of Play Therapy that teaches parents to become agents of therapeutic change in their children’s lives)
- Abuse: Assist your child to overcome trauma; physical, emotional, or sexual abuse; and neglect; Treat co-occurring mental health symptoms of anxiety, depression, dissociation, Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), behavioral issues, and more+
- Adoption: Coach yourself for the challenges of adoption (paperwork, paperwork, home studies, and more paperwork!); Embrace your family’s diversity (for adoptees with international or transracial roots; LGBTQ+ adoptive parents; or children with developmental disabilities); Promote a self-assured sense of belonging and feeling “loved” in your adopted child
- Academic & Behavioral Disorders: Evaluate your child for ADHD—and get solutions pronto!; Improve your child’s exasperating behaviors at home or school and enhance academic performance; Reduce the frequency of angry outbursts, tantrums, and oppositional defiant behavior; Encourage your child with perfectionism or developmental delays to excel at school
- Discipline: Strike a healthy balance between shipping your kids off to boarding school (“The Dictator” parenting style) vs. permitting your kids to run amok in the streets (“The Cool Parent” parenting style); Learn when to advocate for your child vs. sheltering your child from the natural consequences of his or her bad decisions (also known as “Helicopter” parenting)
- Divorce & Blended Families: Cope with the tricky transformation from married parent… to single-parent; Identify strategies for redistributing parenting responsibilities with your revolting ex—when you both live in separate households and have “bad blood”; Conquer the hurdles of blending dissimilar families with contradictory lifestyles together, through the act of remarriage
- Identity: Support your children through the “discovery” process of finding their own identity—even when it doesn’t necessarily align with the future you had dreamed for them (for example, when Jane plays cello like a virtuoso musician… but perplexingly, prefers the lifestyle of a starving actress…)
- Single-Parenting: Defy the challenges of parenting as a solo-parent; Overcome grief, loss, abandonment, or divorce adjustment (where applicable); Form a support network of family and friends (because even in two-parent households: raising a child takes a village!); Get help with crunching the numbers (aka financial planning for your family’s future!); Carve out time to explore romance or reserve essential, restorative “you” time
- Empty Next & Aging: Sometimes our kids leave the nest willingly, to embark for college or wherever their adult lives will take them—and other times, we have to shove our fledglings out of the nest, and cross our fingers that they don’t go “Splat”! Learn how to handle grief and loneliness when your children embark from home for the very first time; and instill in your slightly more reliant kids the confidence that they will need to blaze their own trail in life
How Can Parental Counseling & Therapy Help My Family?
Our kids—whether we love ‘em or loathe ‘em at this particular moment—are frustratingly complex creatures; so, it probably comes as no surprise that a “one size fits all” approach to parental counseling simply doesn’t work! Instead, our team of Family Counseling specialists offers customizable solutions that are tailor-made to fit your therapeutic needs. Depending upon your concern, our therapists may recommend:
- Individual Counseling: One-on-one therapy sessions to address all aspects of mommy-ing and daddy-ing, from planning your first family; to disciplining unruly toddlers and teens; to surviving the high-stress of 21st century parenting—you know, in that alternate reality where 3-year-olds are screened by admissions boards in order to be granted acceptance into preschool…
- Family Counseling: Mediates therapeutic concerns that affect the entire family in a joint session to facilitate open communication and to resolve conflict; Helps family members get on the same page about discipline, expectations, and “fairness”; Assists children to adjust to divorce, adoption, and more+
- Couples Counseling: Discuss parenting anxieties & “stuck” child-rearing dilemmas as a couple; Discover the time to call a “time-out”; Enrich your intimate connection with your partner and recuperate from parenting exhaustion; Resolve parenting disagreements about discipline, finances, parental roles & responsibilities, plus more+
- Play Therapy: Enable children under the age of 10 to communicate their needs or worries—on matters such as attachment, abuse, adoption, or behavioral and academic difficulties—through the use of structured play time
- Filial Therapy: Instructs parents in the practices of play therapy to use at home with their child; Allows child to label and healthfully express feelings to parents while acquiring a simultaneous sense of self-confidence, self-control, and parental acceptance; Supports parents to forge a stronger relationship with their child and practice easy and effective limit setting skills
- Parenting Skills Therapy: A series of 10-15 sessions (1.5 hours each) in an individual or group therapy format that outlines all the biggies: from fostering a pattern of secure attachment in your infant; to instituting firm but fair discipline methods; to promoting your child’s personal identity development
Parent counseling – or parenting skills training, (aka filial therapy), is an educational process in which parents or caregivers learn how to positively impact their child’s development.
How to know if you can benefit from parenting skills training:
- ineffective limit-setting with kids
- power struggles between parents and kids
- power struggles between parents about kids
- conflict between parents and kids
- conflict between parents about kids
- repetitive problems between parents and kids
We can teach you how to a therapeutic agent for your kids.
You will learn
- effective limit-setting skills
- to help regain control as a parent
- how to create a nonjudgmental, understanding, accepting, environment that enhances your relationship with your child
- to co-parent effectively
- to facilitate personal growth and change for everyone involved
Your child will gain
- the ability to label and healthfully express feelings
- to feel more accepted and understood by you
- increased self-confidence and self-esteem
- self-control, responsibility, and decision making skills
You, as a parent, will gain
- a greater understanding and acceptance of your child (and yourself-BONUS)
- stronger, more positive relationship with your child
- easy and effective limit setting skills
Parenting skills training at LifeWorks is a different experience for everyone, but generally it requires 10-15, 1.5 hour sessions. This training is offered in an individual (more personalized for you) or group (more economical) format.
Here at Lifeologie, we can help you gain control as the parent, enhance the relationship you have with your child, and help your children understand their world.
Alternative Therapy for Parents and Kids: Stress management techniques, such as mindfulness, meditation, and psychotherapeutic yoga, that enable you to decompress after the everyday strains of parenting—because every parent needs a break! Especially you!
Meet our counselors who specialize in this issue
- Christopher “Chris” JonesLPC, LPC supervisorDallas & Fort Worth$155 per 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Abuse Recovery, ADHD, Adolescents, Adoption & Foster Care, Adulting, Complex Trauma Recovery, Conduct Discorder, EMDR, Failure to Launch, Oppositional Defiance, Parenting, PTSD Recovery, Quarter-Life Issues, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Young Adults in Transition
- Mary MillerLMFT associate, supervised by Melanie Wells, LMFT-SDallas & Fort Worth$125 per 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Business Partner Counseling, Couples Counseling, Female Sexuality, Infidelity, LGBTQ & Gender Issues, LGBTQ Couples, Male Sexuality, Marriage & Gender, Marriage Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Newlyweds, Parenting, Pre-Marital, Sex Therapy, Sexual Identity, Women's Issues
- Jenny WangLPC, LPC-SupervisorFriscoFees: $150 for a 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Anxiety Disorders, Christian Counseling, Christian Marriage Counseling, Couples Counseling, Dealing with OCD, Death & Dying, Depression, Divorce & Adjustment, Divorce & Breakups, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Family Issues, Grief & Loss, Infidelity, Kids, Teens & Tweens, Life Changing Events, Marriage Counseling, Parenting, Sexual Abuse Recovery, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Tweens & Teens
- Kayla WhiteLPC-Intern Supervised
by Jenny Wang, LPC-SFriscoFees: $105 for a 50 min sessionSpecialties: ADHD, Adolescents, Bullying, Child Counseling, Child or Play Therapy, Cutting, Depression, Divorce & Breakups, Grief & Loss, Kids, Teens & Tweens, LGBTQ & Gender Issues, Major Depression, Mood Disorders, Parenting, Self Harm, Suicidal Thoughts, Young Adults
- Dieula PrevilonLPC & Life CoachFrisco & Plano/RichardsonFees: $130 for a 50 min sessionSpecialties: Abuse Recovery, ADHD, Adolescents, Anxiety Disorders, Biracial Couples, Blended Families, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Christian Counseling, Christian Marriage Counseling, Couples Counseling, Depression, Divorce & Adjustment, Divorce & Breakups, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Grief & Loss, Infidelity, Life Changing Events, Major Depression, Marriage Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Panic Attacks, Parenting, Physical Abuse Recovery, Sexual Abuse Recovery, Social Anxiety, Spousal Abuse Recovedry, Stress Management, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Tweens & Teens, Veterans & Military, Young Adults, Young Adults in Transition
- Carrie CravensLCSWPlano/RichardsonFees: $130 for a 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Adolescents, Adoption & Foster Care, Anxiety Disorders, Blended Families, Child or Play Therapy, Codependency Issues, Family Issues, Kids, Teens & Tweens, Life Changing Events, Parenting, Relationship Issues, Social Anxiety, Stress Management, Tweens & Teens, Women's Issues, Young Adults in Transition