Trauma & Abuse Recovery
Trauma and Abuse Recovery – How is it possible to recover from verbal, emotional, physical or sexual abuse or trauma?
Abuse recovery can seem like a distant fantasy. Survivors of trauma often report that it is impossible to imagine ever feeling good again. One of the terrible legacies of being abused is that the effects of abuse can be hard to shake – even years later.
All forms of abuse are damaging and can leave a lifetime of visible and invisible scars behind. Trauma can be hard to spot. It can also be hard to admit you’re dealing with trauma. Often abuse survivors hide the fact that they’ve been abused — sometimes even denying obvious effects of their abuse experience.
Here are some common symptoms experienced by trauma and abuse survivors:
- flashbacks to an abusive situation
chronic or recurring anxiety
depression – mild to severe
fear of relationships
confusion in relationships
walking on eggshells – even in safe situations
a heightened sense of danger
avoidance of sexual relationships
chronic feelings of shame and self-blame
feeling that you’re never good enough
feeling that being “damaged goods”
self-blame and self-hatred
self-harm or self-destructive activities
suicidal ideation or attempts
substance abuse or addiction
recurrent unexplained physical symptoms – such as muscle aches or fatigue
Abuse can happen to anyone – infants, children, adults and the elderly. And most often, abuse occurs within families or other close relationships and falls into one of the following categories:
- emotional abuse
Abusers are weak individuals who use power to manipulate and control others. The are brilliant manipulators and will often leave their victims confused and wracked with guilt and self-blame. Let’s be clear: abuse is not your fault. It is the fault of the person who abused you. Period. No exceptions.
You deserve to live a healthy, happy life, free of the effects of abuse. If you are recovering from abuse and are ready to seek help, Lifeologie offers a number of options, including talk therapy and the alternative therapies of EMDR, yoga therapy and equine therapy.
It is possible to recover from abuse and leave your trauma behind. Give us a call and start your recovery today!
Meet our counselors who specialize in this issue
- Christopher “Chris” JonesLPC, LPC supervisorDallas & Fort Worth$155 per 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Abuse Recovery, ADHD, Adolescents, Adoption & Foster Care, Adulting, Complex Trauma Recovery, Conduct Discorder, EMDR, Failure to Launch, Oppositional Defiance, Parenting, PTSD Recovery, Quarter-Life Issues, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Young Adults in Transition
- Katy BranchflowerMasters Level InternDallas Office$75 per 50-minute sessionSpecialties: Abuse Recovery, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Couples Counseling, Grief & Loss, Life Changing Events, Marriage Counseling, Relationship Issues, Stress Management, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Women's Issues, Young Adults in Transition
- Mark ShoemakerLPC Intern - Supervised by Jack Dickerson, LPC-SPlano/Richardson OfficeFees: $105 for 50 min sessionSpecialties: Abuse Recovery, Anger Management, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Christian Counseling, Christian Marriage Counseling, Complex Trauma Recovery, Couples Counseling, Depression, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Major Depression, Marriage Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Men's Issues, Physical Abuse Recovery, Relationship Issues, Spousal Abuse Recovedry, Suicidal Thoughts, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Tweens & Teens
- Dieula PrevilonLPC & Life CoachFrisco & Plano/RichardsonFees: $130 for a 50 min sessionSpecialties: Abuse Recovery, ADHD, Adolescents, Anxiety Disorders, Biracial Couples, Blended Families, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Christian Counseling, Christian Marriage Counseling, Couples Counseling, Depression, Divorce & Adjustment, Divorce & Breakups, Emotional Abuse Recovery, Grief & Loss, Infidelity, Life Changing Events, Major Depression, Marriage Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Panic Attacks, Parenting, Physical Abuse Recovery, Sexual Abuse Recovery, Social Anxiety, Spousal Abuse Recovedry, Stress Management, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Tweens & Teens, Veterans & Military, Young Adults, Young Adults in Transition