Women’s Counseling & Therapy
How Does Gender Bias Affect The Female Experience?
Why seek counseling or therapy for women’s issues? What ARE women’s issues anyway? How about wage gaps, rape culture, underrepresentation in politics, business, and STEM, poverty, and sexual violence. Modern women are undeniably fierce; but, from a sociological standpoint, women often get the short end of the stick.
We may rarely think about it consciously, but inequality colors almost every aspect of the female experience:
Feeling like a single parent despite having a male partner
Over-compensating for gender-bias in the workplace
Receiving judgmental pushback from men and women for expressing your female sexuality
Giving in to the pressure of the stereotypes and negatively criticizing your own body
Common Issues Explored In Women’s Counseling
Relationships: Navigate all aspects of romantic relationships from initial flirtations to marital counseling; Pre-plan for the unexpected challenges of marriage (Pre-Marital Counseling) or co-parenting (Pregnancy & Parental Skills Counseling); Learn how to communicate more effectively, unstick “stuck” marital feuds, and deepen your sexual connection in Marriage Counseling; Explore Last-Ditch Martial Counseling to resurrect a failing marriage; Heal from the pains of infidelity, breakups, separations, and divorce; and Seamlessly blend two families together through the act of remarriage
Gender & Sexuality: Resolve uncertainty about sexual orientation or gender identity expression; Communicate your sexual desires to your partner—and achieve sexual fulfillment; Receive medical and psychological interventions to address roadblocks to sexual arousal, orgasm, and pain-free penetration; Conquer performance anxiety, shame about sex, and sexual slumps with your partner
Pregnancy & Adoption: Plan for the expansion of your family and the unique challenges of child-rearing; Survive the hormonal ebbs and flows, sleepless nights and fatigue, enhanced cravings, and morning sickness of pregnancy; Conquer Postpartum Depression; Prepare for adopting a child or fostering healthy attachment bonds; Cope with the grief of infertility, miscarriage, abortion, or “birthmother grief” (the surrendering a child for adoption)
Motherhood: Strike a healthy balance among career, childcare, and self-care (including precious sleep, romantic, or socialization time); Master the arts of single parenthood, teenage parenting, or successful co-parenting; Articulate expectations for parenting roles and discipline guidelines in Couples or Marriage Counseling; Advocate effectively for children with developmental disabilities; distress from bullying; and attachment, academic, or behavioral problems; Cope with rebellious teens, or young adults with a distressing reluctance to vacate the nest; Receive competent and compassionate grief counseling to soothe the mourning process after losing a child
Workplace Issues: Confront sexual harassment or gender discrimination in the workplace; Advocate for equal pay, deserved promotions, or maternity leave; Balance motherhood with professional development; Cope with incompetent bosses and catty or chauvinistic co-workers
Inequality & Gender Expectations: Talk to someone who understands the challenges of being a woman: cultural and societal standards for beauty, workplace inequality, imbalanced parenting roles, political injustice, “rape culture”, and LGBTQ+ or multicultural -specific obstacles for women
Stress Management: Screaming infants, tantrum-ing two-year-old’s, stubborn adolescents, and rebellious teens; clueless, checked-out husbands; sleep deprivation; chaotic schedules; financial burdens; fitness, body image, or evidence of aging: Escape the cycle of near-constant worrying! Develop effective mechanisms for self-soothing and carve out breaks for essential, restorative “you” time
Eating Disorders & Body Image: Abandon binging, purging, compulsive exercising, food addiction, or self-loathing! Learn to love the skin that you’re in—and develop healthier nutrition habits or fitness goals
Abuse & Trauma Recovery: Heal in the aftermath of sexual, physical, or emotional abuse; childhood neglect; or traumatic life experiences; Alleviate the symptoms of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, including flashbacks, hypervigilance, irritability, and anxiety; Use innovative techniques, such as exposure therapy or EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing) to reprogram the trauma response; Enhance trust and sexual intimacy in your romantic relationships
Mental & Physical Health Challenges: Receive customizable treatments for Anxiety, Depression, Self-Harm, Suicidality, Eating Disorders, Substance Abuse, Panic Disorders, PTSD, OCD, Borderline Personality or Bipolar Disorders—plus more+; Discuss issues that affect Women’s Health, including Menopause, Breast & Reproductive Cancers, Heart Disease, Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI’s), Fertility Issues—and more+
How Can Gender-specific Therapy Services Help Me?
Women report higher levels of marital dissatisfaction and psychological distress than do men.
Depending upon your counseling needs, your Lifeologie therapist may recommend:
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: Modifying via women’s empowerment how you view yourself; Tweaking destructive thought patterns that underlie distressing or unsuccessful behaviors in interpersonal relationships, the workplace, parenting, or mental health (In other words—changing what you can, in spite of a broken system)
Stress Management: Evaluating stress through the lenses of womanhood, motherhood, culture, and sexuality; Recognizing the signs of emotional and physical burnout; and Instituting a routine of self-care (romance, relaxation, socialization, and alone time)
Relationship & Marital Counseling: Regain equality and assertiveness in your relationships; Establish fairness in the division or parenting roles and household responsibilities; Improve communication, enhance a so-so sex life, and rescue relationships form the precipice of divorce
Gender & Sexuality Counseling: Examine medical and psychological causes for female orgasmic and sexual arousal disorders; Tactfully instruct a clueless partner to meet your sexual needs; Discuss LGBTQ+ issues related to exploring sexual orientation or gender identity and cope with prejudice and discrimination
Parenting Skills Development: Hone your parenting skills in preparation for a new baby, adopted child, tantrum-ing youngster, or difficult adolescent; Learn the principles of Filial Therapy (aka: parent-led Play Therapy) to institute at home; Bond more effectively with your child and practice the art of successful limit-setting
Mental Health & Trauma Interventions: Receive customizable and proven treatments (including 12-Step, Harm Reduction, Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR), exposure therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, etc.) to alleviate PTSD, Eating Disorders, Anxiety, Depression, Substance Abuse, Personality Disorders—and more+
Alternative Therapy: Try mindfulness, meditation, psychotherapeutic yoga, or expressive arts to instill the principles of self-relaxation and to initiate personal growth and healing
Women have come a long way, baby!
Let Lifeologie help you overcome those remaining obstacles and thrive as the best version of yourself!
Meet our counselors who specialize in this issue
- Deanne MooreLPC, LMFTDallas Office$185 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Adoption & Foster Care, Blended Families, Business Partner Counseling, Christian Counseling, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Divorce & Breakups, Family Issues, Infidelity, Last-Ditch Marital, Marriage Counseling, Parental Alienation, Women's Issues
- Allison WilliamsLPC-Intern, LCDC-I, NCC,
Supervised by Melanie
Wells, LPC-S, LMFT-SDallas office$115 per 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Adult Children of Divorce, Adulting, Christian Counseling, Codependency Issues, Depression, Quarter-Life Issues, Relationship Issues, Women's Issues, Young Adults in Transition
- Lexie MillerLPC Intern, LCDC Intern
Chris Jones, LPC-SDallas OfficeFees: $115 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Complex Trauma Recovery, Cutting, Depression, EMDR, Grief & Loss, Self Harm, Sexual Abuse Recovery, Suicidal Thoughts, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Women's Issues, Young Adults in Transition
- Katie HermesLPC Intern, LCDC-Intern Supervised by
Melanie Wells, LPC-S, LMFT-SDallas & Fort WorthFees: $115 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Adulting, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Divorce & Adjustment, Failure to Launch, Female Sexuality, Infidelity, Last-Ditch Marital, Newlyweds, Women's Issues, Young Adults in Transition
- Mary MillerLMFT associate Supervised by Melanie Wells, LPC-S, LMFT-SDallas & Fort Worth$115 per 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Business Partner Counseling, Couples Counseling, Female Sexuality, Infidelity, LGBTQ & Gender Issues, LGBTQ Couples, Male Sexuality, Marriage & Gender, Marriage Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Newlyweds, Parenting, Pre-Marital, Sex Therapy, Sexual Identity, Women's Issues
- Sweta AhujaLPC-Intern Supervised by Melanie Wells, LPC-S, LMFT-SDallas & Fort WorthFees: $130 for 50 min sessionSpecialties: Addiction & Substance Abuse, Adulting, Anxiety Disorders, Bipolar Disorder, Biracial Couples, Borderline Personality, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Cross-Cultural Relationships, Depression, EMDR, Families & Mental Illness, Men's Issues, Multi-Cultural Issues, Quarter-Life Issues, Relationship Issues, Schizophrenia, Women's Issues, Young Adults in Transition
- Laura Abbott CoanPsychotherapeutic YogaDallas OfficeFees: $105 for 50 min sessionSpecialties: ADHD, Adolescents, Anxiety Disorders, Ayurveda & Lifestyle, Body Picking, Complex Trauma Recovery, Depression, Eating Disorders, Insomnia, Meditation, Mindfulness Training, Psychotherapeutic Yoga, PTSD Recovery, Stress Management, Trichotillomania, Women's Issues, Yoga Therapy
- Katy BranchflowerMasters Level InternDallas Office$55 per 50-minute sessionSpecialties: Abuse Recovery, Childhood Abuse Recovery, Couples Counseling, Grief & Loss, Life Changing Events, Marriage Counseling, Relationship Issues, Stress Management, Trauma & Abuse Recovery, Women's Issues, Young Adults in Transition
- Linda GrahamLPC-Intern Supervised
by Jenny Wang, LPC-SPlano/Richardson OfficeFees: $105 per 50 min sessionSpecialties: Anxiety Disorders, Christian Marriage Counseling, Codependency Issues, Couples Counseling, Depression, Divorce & Adjustment, Infidelity, Major Depression, Marriage Counseling, Marriage Counseling, Postpartum Depression, Relationship Issues, Suicidal Thoughts, Women's Issues, Young Adults, Young Adults in Transition
- Carrie CravensLCSWPlano/RichardsonFees: $130 for a 50 minute sessionSpecialties: Adolescents, Adoption & Foster Care, Anxiety Disorders, Blended Families, Child or Play Therapy, Codependency Issues, Family Issues, Kids, Teens & Tweens, Life Changing Events, Parenting, Relationship Issues, Social Anxiety, Stress Management, Tweens & Teens, Women's Issues, Young Adults in Transition