Body picking and hair pulling (Trichotillomania) are more common than you may think. Typically tied to anxiety responses or general anxiety concerns, it can be a way to “self-soothe,” or to make the body feel calmer.
There are two primary types:
- Dermatillomania refers to repetitively touching, scratching, rubbing, picking or digging into their skin, often in an attempt to remove small irregularities or perceived imperfections. This behavior is a type of body-focused repetitive behavior that also includes biting the insides of the cheeks, and severe nail biting.
- Trichotillomania is the repeated urge to pull out scalp hair, eyelashes, facial hair, eyebrows or other facial or body hair, sometimes resulting in noticeable bald patches.
Our treatment for Trichotillomania and body picking disorders includes talk therapy, behavioral modification, family therapy, and effective alternative treatments such as yoga therapy and mindfulness and meditation. Counseling can help you develop awareness around your stress triggers and develop healthier coping habits.
Signs and Symptoms
- wearing hats, kerchiefs or wigs
- excessive fiddling with hair
- changing in social behavior patterns
- academic decline
- avoidance of windy conditions
- preoccupation and anxiety
- avoidance of situations that would expose hair or scars
How does Lifeologie help?
Discuss your concerns with our intake specialists.
When you reach out to a Lifeologie, you’ll be connected with one of our Intake Specialists. In a “call center?” No way. Our specialists are each located in their local Lifeologie office and know the counselors well. Their entire job is to learn about you and what you’re looking for and to match you with the counselor who will be the very best fit for your needs and preferences.
Find a counselor that is passionate about helping you reach your mental health goals.
Our counselors are literally the cream of the crop. We get hundreds of applications every year to intern and work at our offices. Lifeologists are counselors, life coaches and overall wellness advocates who are experts and specialists in their craft. At the intern level, they have set themselves apart as incredible learners and collaborators, chasing after the highest-level trainings in the field. From EMDR to nutrition coaching to brain spotting and addiction specialists, we have you covered. Once you enter a Lifeologie office, you’ll find that we’ve carefully curated the environment to feel modern, comfortable and inviting. Counseling at Lifeologie is not your typical counseling experience – in any way.
Receive continuous support and guidance as you go on your mental health journey.
Your counselor at Lifeologie will meet you wherever you are, whether you’re just starting in counseling for the first time ever… or returning to a life-long counseling journey after a brief break. Your Lifeologist will partner with you to meet your goals. As you learn and grow, we can help you focus on overall wellness through mindfulness practices such as Psychotherapeutic Yoga or mindful eating. Wherever you are, we can come alongside and help you move forward!
Meet our specialists
Lifeologie Institute was founded in 2000 with one goal in mind — to bring a fresh, innovative approach to the everyday problems of life. Creative solutions to stuck problemsⓇ. With our unique multi-specialty, collaborative approach, Lifeologie helps individuals and families heal their wounds and break out of old, unhealthy patterns.